ad: M2Ant-1

Copying on Paper - Best Practice?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KN4I, Aug 8, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. M6GYU

M6GYU Ham Member QRZ Page

Everyone I've worked with in the RN, Military and Civilian, can and did use capitals up to speeds of 25 wpm. Some of the capitals can be made shorter/easier by abbreviating them. E can be achieved by writing C and adding a single stroke through the middle. My J's have always been just one stroke down and curled at the ends. A an upturned U with a horizontal added.

Practice, Practice, Practice,Practice and bits more practice.

We also used typewriters when needed for faster stuff or if your' handwriting was so bad no one else could read it. But this takes......errrr? More practice, practice etc.,

AA7EJ and KA0HCP like this.
  2. K7KBN

K7KBN Ham Member QRZ Page

UR 569 NR SEATTLE OP PAT HW?

If the other guy wants to know exactly where I am, he can ask. "Bremerton" takes longer and invites repeats.

3. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

To extend on your post.

The best practice to write on paper is when EVERYBODY else can decipher your writing.
    When I CANNOT decipher my own writing it is time for more practice or to take-up basket weaving as a hobby.

73 Shirley

4. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

QSL QSL QSL UR RST 599 599 599 = PSE UR NAME? = PSE UR NAME? = PSE UR QTH? = WHAT SEA? = QSL?...

HI HI HI SHIRLEY
    EX QTH S N O H O M I S H ....NR MONROE....

SNO? WHAT?

5. M6GYU

M6GYU Ham Member QRZ Page

I couldn't agree more. During my RN years I had to get used to everyone's handwriting and of course by necessity you wrote as clearly as needed and I'm know that lots of plain language texts were written in long hand as they were read. Coded ones were always recorded using capitals for clarity and for accurate decoding using a KL7 (which some of you may have used).

But as an amateur you generally only need to be able to read your own writing - which means you can be a bit more untidy perhaps??

6. KB0TT

KB0TT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

When I copied the 13 & 20 wpm @ the Kansas City ( MO ) office , the

old HAG was not amused .... She looked @ my CURSIVE copy and answer sheets ... Ho Hum .....

She had me send for ~ 20 seconds @ 20 wpm speed , then , gave me my Advanced test .....

Same with the Extra test .....

Obviously , she was the ' highlight ' of my 425 mile round trip testing session / excursion .....

Boo Hoo ! ! ! :)

JB

7. KB0TT

I just HAD to respond ......:)

When I physically cursive copy >25 wpm , it turns into ' chicken scratch ' ......

I am glad that I am not the only one .....

JB

8. KD2RON

KD2RON Ham Member QRZ Page

This is silly and snide comments are welcome but it has helped me to spell the letters in the air to help me visuallize the word.

9. KB0TT

I TOLD Everyone that you would show up ........

This thread is like waving a flag in front of a bull .... Right , Jim ? ?

JB

10. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

Best Practice; Blank paper, Sharp pencil.
    Signal Corps HS-16 head set with rubber cushions for weak signal work.