Cootie key...

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KB4MNG, May 16, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

Considering embarking on build one of these. Any advise?

2. KG7WGX

KG7WGX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

3. KQ4MM

KQ4MM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Subscribe to the SKCC reflector on groups.io .. Lots of cootie OPs there ( me as well). I played with the blade style cooties but settled on the original one made by Bunnell .. The above site is the best by far, lots of links to good info

4. KB4MNG

Went to the suggested sites. Just won a vibrokeyer off ebay for $50. figured it would hard to beat that. It needs some love and attention so I will have fun doing that and giving it a try!

5. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

Build your own. Use a hacksaw blade. I did.

K7MHKEY1.JPG

A block of Delrin for the base, some parts from a wiped out coffin key I found at a hamfest, a portion of a hacksaw blade and a couple guitar picks.

W5WTH likes this.
  6. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Did Not Like the "Cootie"
    When I was in high school (56 years ago) My friend and I built a couple of sideswipers out of bolted together J38 keys (they cost 50 cents at the surplus stores) with a bracket to hold them 90 degrees from normal.
    I could make copyable Morse with one but did not like the feel of it compared to a Bug. Later I went to an electronic keyer and paddle and loved it.
    Today I have my J38, a vibrolex bug, and electronic keyer paddles on the desk, all connected, and can switch between devices and keep going , seamlessly !
    I never expect to go back to the "cootie" style but I can send cootie with one of my paddles connected to the rig if I want to.

7. N3HEE

N3HEE Ham Member QRZ Page

Built mine using 3/4 inch thick brass base. Hacksaw blade. I machined aluminum parts for finger piece, contact holders and blade holder. Blade length and contact spacing are adjustable. See details on my QRZ page.

8. KB4MNG

Your page and work is very impressive. I love doing projects and really wish I had the tooling to make something look that good. I can spend hours on something and still looks like the little rascals cobbled it together.

9. KB4MNG

Forgot to add, I enjoy using the vibrokeyer in the cootie mode. I have it connected to my TS 520. Having to get use to the string of dots but its coming. I was lucky to get one manufactored in the first year of production. Little dirty but it will clean up.

[​IMG]