Cool QSO with a guy in a snow cave on 2m simplex

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W7UUU, Jan 9, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Just heard George, KF7OCD, looking for a radio check a while ago - he's 4000 feet up in the mountains, in the dark, about 50 miles north of me, and I copied him 59+ full quieting off the BACK of my 2m beam. And he actually made a video of the QSO, which I thought was really cool. Check out his QRZ page - he does 2M "Aeronautical mobile from a parachute" with a video of that too.

I live vicariously through folks like this.... amazing!

Facebook video of our contact is posted below

Thanks to George - I had a lot of fun with this contact. Happy to log it in.

One of the funnest contacts I think I've ever had, given that he happened to post the video...

Dave
    W7UUU

NL7W, W9AMM, KF7OCD and 15 others like this.
  2. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh this is Too-Cool...

W9AMM, KF7OCD and W7UUU like this.
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Too cool for school! He's in a SNOW CAVE and it's SNOWING!

That really ranks probably as the coolest 2m contact I've ever had - could only be topped by ISS IMO

Dave
    W7UUU

KF7OCD, K9ASE, KA2CZU and 4 others like this.
  4. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow. And he looked as surprised as you sound.

KF7OCD, AD5KO, N7ANN and 3 others like this.
  5. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm impressed; I have hiked through the Cascades back in the seventies and really enjoyed it. I wouldn't have gone out in the snow...
    Wow...

KF7OCD, N7ANN and W7UUU like this.
  6. KK4ZYM

KK4ZYM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Looks like he's on a Baofeng. :cool:

KF7OCD, K9ASE, W7UUU and 1 other person like this.
  7. WA4BCS

WA4BCS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Looks like he was using a Baofeng UV5R. Nice contact!!!

KF7OCD, N7ANN, AF6LJ and 1 other person like this.
  8. W7UUU

He was very surprised - we are NOT close --- 40/50+ miles at least, him on a Baofeng - me on my FT-8900 to a Diamond Yagi, but pointed exactly South of his location.... I was working him off the back of my beam!

Truly memorable contact

Dave
    W7UUU

KF7OCD, AD5KO, N7ANN and 4 others like this.
  9. WA4BCS

WA4BCS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A little Tropo maybe. Good audio from his radio. Who says those radios aren't any good?

KF7OCD and W7UUU like this.
  10. W7UUU

He sounded fantastic on my end too - S9++ full quieting, excellent audio. I heard him just as you hear me in that video. HUGE signal.

Regarding Tropo - I'd have no idea. I don't really know much about propagation on 2m - it surely seemed surreal, and to have it on video from his snow cave is, to me, just priceless.

Dave
    W7UUU

KF7OCD, N7ANN, AF6LJ and 1 other person like this.