ad: elecraft

Converting a Directv dish

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KD0EHZ, Jul 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: OK1UUad-1
  1. KD0EHZ

KD0EHZ QRZ Member

I was wondering if anyone has ever converted a DirecTV dish for ham radio use? I pulled an old dish (standard DirecTV size) off of a building where I work (they we going to through it away), and thought I could use it for some sort of ham radio communications. Any suggestions? Has anyone come across a good website or book? Thanks!

73s,
    Adam KDØEHZ

2. K8WPJ

K8WPJ Banned QRZ Page

I've seen them used for Wifi network hunting...

I would suppose Ghz band ham radio use would be possible, tho I've never seen it done...

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I believe it might be useful for 80m DXing.

If you read what's here:

unwinantennas.com

I believe he implies that if you wrap the little dish with a mile of magnet wire and figure out how to couple to that, you have an effective antenna.:)

Make sure to keep it in equilibrium, though. If you upset that, the balance of life as we know it on this planet could be in peril.

I think.

Or maybe not.;)

WB2WIK/6

4. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

They are useful for 10Ghz and work quite well, but you have to make a new feed for it resonant at 10G. I have one I am planning to do that with, and have a 10 Ghz transverter ready to hook up to it, but it is one of those things I have to get around to. Most 10G work is done portable in the field, so some sort of tripod has to be made up to support it and allow for precision pointing. An regular camera tripod won't do, you need a really heft one, but still portable, as the mountaintops are usually quite windy. Also need an accurate compass rose on it as that is crucial. So, if you want to get into 10Ghz, you have your first and one of the most important pieces!

5. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I was under the impression that it has been for quite some time now.......

6. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hold onto the dish for 3-5 years and you can use it for ops on the geostationary satellites that will be launched. Expected bands are around 5 Ghz. Checkout the AMSAT site for info.

Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.