Conversations.

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by WB2WIK, Jan 5, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Waste of Time
    Hobby time is always a waste of time, but learning something new is a productive waste of time .
    Working CW on my radio, or finding a galaxy with my telescope, sure beats going to a pool hall, dog fight , or bar, at least for me. .

WD4DXQ likes this.
  2. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

I insist on calling CQ in accordance with the rules and regs. on any frequency I'm licensed to operate.

3. NK8I

NK8I XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just from reading this forum long enough, I imagine you don't often work at straight key speeds. I'm not asking a 20+ WPM OP for their SKCC number (nor do I answer their CQs).

4. AD5RX

AD5RX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have WB2WIK in the log back in November. My notes say it was just a little faster than I could comfortably copy, so that probably meant around 13-14wpm at the time and I was on a straight key. When I typed the callsign into my logger I noticed he didn't have a SKCC number, so I never sent mine as part of the exchange. That seemed easy enough and it was a very nice QSO from my end.

K3XR likes this.
  5. NK8I

NK8I XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I admit I'm making a broad assumption from just reading his posts on the forum. If I had his experience and CW ingrained and automatic as OPs like WIK, I probably wouldn't be using straight key as my main key and would work in the 20's as it seems most of the CQ's reported on the Reverse Beacon Network are between 20-30 WPM.

AD5RX likes this.
  6. K5TSK

K5TSK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Wondering why all the annoyance at a CQ SKCC, when there is so much CQ DX, CQ CWT, CQ whatever? At least one of those on here that are disgusted, used to be on SKCC non-stop and I mean non-stop.. What's the deal?

WA1GXC likes this.
  7. N7TAT

N7TAT Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been QRT for about 10 years. Biggest shock getting back on the air (besides the high noise levels and weak signals) is the huge number of SKCC folks.

It seems like most CW contacts end up with me collecting another SKCC number. I'm glad I have one to give out and am happy to work them but I am really surprised at how big it has all gotten and have sympathy for those non-SKCC people who are being deluged with SKCC numbers. For that reason I don't automatically send my number.

Bugs - The bug me. Too easy for a bad fist. And I'm also guilty as charged. I'm working on bug mastery. Sometimes I'm spot on, other times things just fall off the rails. So far, other ops claim "solid copy" but I know it wasn't pretty.

So, I apologize in advance ... to everyone, everywhere. :)

8. KG7WGX

KG7WGX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I will admit to being surprised by the complaints of using CQ SKCC.

However, I did read a complaint once from a newcomer who answered a CQ DX call and wanted a QSO, when he was not DX. He was told he wasn't DX and cut short. He said that wasn't in the "spirit of amateur radio".

You also hear of guys who want a QSO and the other station is in the middle of a contest. The newcomer doesn't know contest exchanges from a hole in the ground. He hears the callsign and figures the contester is "fair game".

We need to remind ourselves, in this day of FT8 proliferation, that not everyone thinks the same way. And, while it is perfectly OK to complain, you may just be wasting your time.

9. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I answer peoples' CQs at whatever speed they were sending (i.e., match my speed to theirs) and it doesn't bother me at all to QRS.

I'm happy people are getting into and hopefully enjoying code. Other than WSJT modes like FT8, CW is the easiest way to make contacts with minimal gear and/or bad conditions.

10. KI5CAW

KI5CAW Ham Member QRZ Page

If I answer a CQ near 7055 I assume they are SKCC. Near 7062 I assume it's SOTA or POTA. Below 7045 or from 7100-7125 I assume they want at least a two by two rag chew and I'll keep going until one of us tires. I don't care for contests but I enjoy informal "events" like K3Y. I won't give my SKCC until they do.
    What really bugs me is digi ops stepping right on top of my QSO. But that's another rant entirely:p