Conversations.

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by WB2WIK, Jan 5, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: QSOToday-1
  1. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

I would assume SKCC participants, those who are newer ops, need the extra practice that a solid, not their patent bare minimum exchange, would provide. Sure seems like many of these ops are squandering valuable opportunities to not only excel in the mastery of Morse code but also making new friends and having meanigful conversations...
    I would strongly encourage those (Hello SKCC Leadership) who are indeed only seeking numbers for what ever reasons by all means send "CQ SKCC" so we who are not wanting to be solicited can ignore the call and move on to an actual QSO with some conversation...

Learn Morse
    Do CW

KD1JT likes this.
  2. KD1JT

KD1JT Ham Member QRZ Page

Some of you guys are a real hoot. You complained when the code requirement was removed, mourned the lack of CW operators for the next 20 years, and now piss and moan because too many CW operators won’t play ham the way you play ham. Turn off your opinion generator (computer) and turn on a radio.

NQ1B, WZ7U, KJ4KPW and 2 others like this.
  3. KD2RDG

KD2RDG Ham Member QRZ Page

There is nothing but true poetry leaping off my key. Millions of years from now aliens will pick up these signals and marvel at the brilliance of the human mind.

4. WA1GXC

WA1GXC Ham Member QRZ Page

"Gort, what means kew-ess-dee ? "

KD2RDG likes this.
  5. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Good news! Your "opinion generator" seems to be working just fine. :D

6. KC2SIZ

KC2SIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't insist upon poetry in ordinary, spoken conversation. I'm certainly not going to insist upon it with CW QSOs. And I hope no one will expect it of me because I'm no poet!

7. KD1JT

KD1JT Ham Member QRZ Page

8. W6MK

W6MK Ham Member QRZ Page

Not very helpful I think to confuse some sort of falsely elevated literary attitude with the real, practical, expressive nature of Morse Code.

I do understand that many hams are not particularly good at reading, writing or speaking English or another language.

Poetry has to do with language that has musical and other expressive qualities. Well-sent Morse Code definitely can be
    musically expressive. It can also, if poorly sent, be very unmusical.

Other poetic expressive characteristics of Morse Code conversations have to do with all the possibilities for efficient abbreviated
    words and other kinds of character groups.

Bottom line is that poetry is where you find it. Even in ordinary conversation, most people can appreciate a rhythmic, witty, poignant
    phrase. That's poetry. Popular songs are poetic.

Then there are those folks with tin ears. They miss out on a lot.

9. KC2SIZ

KC2SIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm open to working anyone. I hope they're not disappointed. If they are, they can cut the QSO short and there'll be no hard feelings on my end.

10. W6MK

W6MK Ham Member QRZ Page

You seem to have missed my point, but I'm not disappointed.

KC2SIZ likes this.