ad: wmr-1

Conversations.

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by WB2WIK, Jan 5, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I work CW a lot (probably about 80-90% of the time, lately) which means old-timers, newbies, and everything else.

Two annoying things:

• Stations who insist on giving me their SKCC number, when I couldn't care less and would much rather just have a conversation.
    • Stations using bugs who really shouldn't.:p
    I'm glad CW is so active and usually get answers to my CQs.

Practice with the bug off the air until when you play back a recording of your sending, it sounds like real code; and be happy about SKCC and all the other organizations, but please realize a lot of us just use code to have conversations, work DX or whatever and it's meaningless to us.:)

"I wouldn't join any club who would have me as a member."
    -Groucho Marx.

N8AFT likes this.
  2. W5WTH

W5WTH Ham Member QRZ Page

I hope I wasn't one of the 'offenders'. My log notes say "RC"
    upload_2021-1-4_20-50-5.png

3. KF9VV

KF9VV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Daily random rag chewer.

I share your thoughts, Steve. The number thing is over in a flash. The poorly timed bugs are far more annoying.

Plus, staying lower in the CW segments seems to provide the best QSOs.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
  4. W6MK

W6MK Ham Member QRZ Page

Me too.

I hadn't thought this about the SKCC number people, but maybe that's all they can think of to talk about. Sad.
    I like to ask off-the-wall questions like about some aspect of living in their town. You can learn a lot. Or, if I happen
    to know some odd fact about where someone lives, I mention the fact.

You gotta use your imagination to get some people to open up. Humor can help a lot, but it's not unusual for
    what I think is a humorous remark to be completely misunderstood.

Those with lousy bug fists are a problem, especially for me in CW nets where I know the people and like them.
    I think the only way to deal with lousy bug fists is to send really well with your own bug. That's what I work at.
    Set a really good example.

5. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

Glad it's not just me!
    Thanks for being brave enough to post...
    All of my sentiments exactly... ;)

Learn Morse.
    Do CW.

K3XR likes this.
  6. KD1JT

KD1JT Ham Member QRZ Page

SKCC isn't just contest Q's. Some members are working on "Marathon" awards, for QSO's laster more than one hour. Others pursue "Rag Chew" awards, for QSOs lasting at least 30 minutes, for a cumulative total of 300 minutes. And some are just looking for new numbers. Programs like SKCC, FISTs, CWops, POTA, SOTA, IOTA, and all QRP operations are what's keeping CW alive on the bands. If you don't have an SKCC number it's fine by me, we can still have a QSO ... It's a shame you think that sending a signal report and 73 is too much for you to deal with before moving on to find your ideal QSO.

Your point about the bug (and cooties and sideswipers, etc) is spot on, though. I was asked once why I hadn't confirmed a QSO (the guy used a bug, or maybe his left foot) ... and gave me his call sign. I replied, "I didn't copy what you didn't send" ... :)

I've been 100% CW since '92

7. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

If an operator wants to be part of one of the groups mentioned (and others) that's fine. That places no obligation on other stations to be participants. The survival of CW is not dependant on such activity and there is no evidence to the contrary.

As to poor sending that can take place at any level on any device and see that mostly as an act of disregard for the other operator who is trying to do his best to copy. I would make a exception when it comes to new CW operators who deserve to be cut a little slack when it comes to their sending.

WD0BCT likes this.
  8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Re the SKCC thing, I think it would better for ops to just send "SKCC?" and that prompts an answer: SKCC 12345 (or whatever) or "NO SKCC," and then get on with it.

I've used CW since a Novice 55 years ago and never joined any kind of code-enthusiast club, probably never will; no problem with the many thousands who did, and do. But I don't collect such numbers, so wasting time sending them is just that.

Another issue is those who evidently get out a lot better than they can hear, but that applies to any mode. It's common that I answer someone's CW CQ with 100W and they call CQ again; so I try 500W and I get a "??" and then finally a kW and they answer me -- then during the QSO I find they're running 100W. I had to run almost 10x their power to get a response. I attribute a lot of that to "local noise/RFI issues" at their end, but I'm not there so that's just a guess. I do suspect a number of CW ops, especially the newer "slow coders," just can't copy any signal that isn't quite strong, and don't even "hear" a 449 signal even though a different op in the same chair might hear it fine.

That's also just a guess. But interestingly, when I work down lower in the band and answer higher-speed ops who are quite weak, they almost always hear me fine without having to QRO. So, I do believe the "working weak signal" experience that is lacking with many of the newer code ops is a problem and they just need to get better at it.:)

9. N8TGQ

N8TGQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Count me as another not into awards, rewards, certificates and secret numbers. My callsign is all I need. The main reason is I just want to talk with other hams. Second reason is I hate logging stuff. I may write down your call, name and QTH but I dont keep it very long.

Maybe we need our own designator when callling CQ showing we're not looking for numbers-how about CQX? I think that would still work on RBN too.

10. KD1JT

KD1JT Ham Member QRZ Page

ggg
    If I'm calling CQ SKCC, or CQ <some other SIG> I reasonably expect any responders to also be a participant. But if I just call CQ I do just as you suggest ... "SKCC?" ... and get on with it, whatever the response. I don't see how sending my unsolicited SKCC number (six characters) is any worse than the rag chewer going on for 10 minutes about his pet owl ... something I don't give a hoot about. :)

WD0BCT and W1BR like this.