ad: portazero-1

Conversational QSOs

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by EA5IZO, Mar 20, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. EA5IZO

EA5IZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Having just returned to ham radio after a 20 year layoff I have quickly realised how much it has changed. My Yaesu 857D with 100w is now effectively QRP. The bands particularly the ones I use, 20m and 40m, are cluttered with powerful stations and contests.
    I am "old style" looking more for conversational QSO, getting to know people from round the world. If you are like minded please follow my page where I will put a frequency and time in GMT where I will be listening and putting out CQ's for people to join me in conversation.
    I look forward to meeting you on the air!

https://www.facebook.com/Ea5izo-105047334470339

K0UO, AE8W, SV2HZF and 3 others like this.
  2. KS2G

KS2G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

3. W3MMM

W3MMM Ham Member QRZ Page

Welcome back! And I hope to meet you too.

I see HF ham radio as being like a big industry convention in a convention center. That is to say that if you stood back and looked at it from afar, you'd see a few things:
    - A few big flashy booths that stand out.
    - A floor filled with many booths big and small, and people bouncing quickly from booth to booth. It would seem chaotic and pretty shallow, and would get really busy on certain days.

But if you zoomed in and could see the rest of it, you'd see
    - Smaller rooms, like classrooms, with longer engagements and more meaningful interactions
    - 1 on 1 meetings off the show floor
    - 1 on 1 meetings at off-site parties and dinners and such.

Point is - the real business is happening in those smaller venues...but if you were looking in from the outside and from a distance, you'd see nothing but chaos and flash.

We're better than that, its just not out front :)

4. WA4SIX

WA4SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

I believe that the WARC frequencies do not have contests. 17 meters is usually a good conversational band.

Ed

WA3GWK, W9RLG and W3ATV like this.
  5. W4EAE

W4EAE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

For conversational QSOs, I mostly work 80m. At my location, an 80m dipole at 15ft gives me coverage of 5 states in the S.E. U.S. Things just seem to operate at a more leisurely pace below 3.8Mhz.

As long as you have the horizontal space, an 80m NVIS antenna is not much of a challenge to put up.

6. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Little has changed regarding QRO stations and contests in a mere 20 years. ;)

Yes, contests are still popular, and yes, some stations, especially phone stations, run more than 100 watts as a way to deal with basically lousy propagation here at solar minimum. However, tune across the phone bands on a day when there isn't a big phone contest going on--which is most days--and you'll find plenty of folks wanting to talk. I enjoy a good ragchew every day...but I mostly on CW. I just find that more relaxing for some reason in these stressful times. I'm usually on 40 in the morning time. :)

KA0HCP likes this.
  7. EA5IZO

EA5IZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

At the moment I’m still getting the station together and working properly. I am on phone only but eventually intend to venture into digital with packet. One step at a time but hopefully using the combination of Facebook and amateur radio I will be able to have phone QSOs with many people from other countries especially during this awful virus lockdown we are going through across the world.

8. N9VO

N9VO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Digital and Conversational qso doesnt necessarily compute.

9. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

you and me both! I enjoy a conversational QSO far more than the "basic info only" ft-8 style contacts. I like to actually get to know folks, rather than rack up meaningless QSO numbers. I don't really mind if others like that sort of thing, but it's not for me.

10. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

I confess that I’m only in it for the DX these days. The only conversational QSOs I’ve ever had were in digital modes (RTTY, AMTOR, PSK, OLIVIA), and I haven’t worked any digital in years.