CONUS is OBSOLETE

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Gear For Sale' started by AA7BQ, Oct 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. WP4I

WP4I Ham Member QRZ Page

thats not true. take an item on a regular box and tell its gonna be ship priority and stills be the same, on some case less than using flat rate box.. the only might change is if it weight more than 70 lbs. meanwhile does not matter too much if u use flat rate box or not when using priority service.

example from your zip to mine.. 19.75 using flat rate and 31 using not flat rate 12x12x6. is more, yes, but no double not 3 or 4 times.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  2. W2NER

W2NER Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have shipped MANY items all being HAM related but, if the item is over $300 - $500 I will never ship USPS. Reason being getting a claim processed is a nightmare plus they don't handle packages as well as fedex. UPS I gave up on a long time ago.

3. KP4SX

KP4SX Subscriber QRZ Page

There's no reason the seller should lose anything. I've never met an 'outer 48' person that expected a seller to eat any additional charges if they apply. I willingly pay the additional when that comes up. Not just ham stuff but retail vendors too. Its routine.

4. K1OIK

K1OIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I had to get my Congressman involved to get a USPS claim paid.

K7MH and K3EY like this.
  5. WX7P

WX7P Ham Member QRZ Page

The above also applies to people who are whiny about PayPal fees ESPECIALLY on inexpensive items.

Whenever I see the "+3% for PayPal" comment, I move on. It's annoyance that someone won't pay the PayPal fee on a $45 item (a whopping $1.60) but also MAY indicate if the seller is that concerned about a $1.60, who knows whatever other little minor things might get them upset.

If the item sold is expensive, say $2000, just set that price at $2058.30 instead of violating the PayPal agreement and making yourself look petty by adding the +3% language.

You're already getting top dollar by selling on the forums versus ham radio flea markets, so why worry about a few cents?

WZ7U and K7MH like this.
  6. K1OIK

QRZ has a rule about trying to back charge the PayPal fee.

7. KC2FQ

KC2FQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, it's frowned upon but not a "rule." Most if not all credit card companies have similar rules that are violated all of the time (ever see cash discounts at gas stations?) and nothing ever happens to them. I even tried to report one of these gas stations myself and the credit card company referred me to bank and the bank referred me to the credit card company. Nobody is getting in trouble, nobody cares. This doesn't mean I'm choosing either side, read on.

The bottom line is sellers and buyers need to come to an agreement, that's how it's been done for over 10,000 years and that's how it will continue to be done.

Paypal fees are a new thing for consumers but businesses have been paying a rake to the credit card companies since their inception. Shipping fees have been around forever and more and more businesses are including shipping but you can bet only the ones that made a sweet deal with the carriers.

So that's why we keep having all of this back and forth over these issues. I can clearly see both sides and don't care either way because I make each deal individually and everyone is usually happy. You can't win anyway because you have one guy saying it's petty to charge the fee but his solution is to quietly add it. Then there's the guy who doesn't mind sending a check or MO but deserves a better deal because of it. It's kind of similar to the debates on accessories that some companies include where some charge extra. Example: If I buy an Icom 2730 I don't get mounts but I get a separation kit. If I buy a Kenwood 71A I get mounts but don't get a separation kit.

You get people with anecdotes about a bad experience with one carrier and then they form the mistaken belief that other carriers are better (just google videos of delivery men treating packages like field goal footballs - they're all guilty).

There are no right or wrong people here or right or wrong answers. Everyone should know/do the following:

The fees exist and someone in the transaction is paying them
    The fees can be avoided but it raises risk for one or both parties in the transaction
    Buyers can and do get ripped off but it's not common and can be mitigated with a little due diligence
    Sellers can and do get ripped off but it's not common and can be mitigated with a little due diligence
    Become familiar with the 3 package carriers and use the one that works best for your situation - check every time
    Negotiate privately until everyone is in agreement
    Talk on the phone via unblocked numbers

Then enjoy your wad of cash and/or your new equipment. 73.

W8VI, WD4IGX and K1OIK like this.
  8. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

How were you forced to pay Canadian import duty?

So ... someone in Canada paid you, presumably the price you were asking plus shipping, you shipped it off. What happened next?

Did you pay duty to the Canadian government? That doesn't make sense.

Did you reimburse the buyer what he had to pay the Canadian government? You could agree to do that but I can't imagine how you were forced into it.

9. K1OIK

I was over 9 years ago. I don't remember who I had to pay. It was either pay or the equipment came back. I never sold another thing to Canada in over 500 sales.

10. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

USPS FLAT RATE BOXES may be the same price to AK and HI, but NOT PARCEL MAIL.

It is perfectly valid to specify CONUS for shipment given the EXORBITANT prices USPS charges to ship to AK and HI from CONUS.

20 lbs to Nome AK from my ZIP is $63 while the large flat rate box is still $18.90.

CONUS is here to stay, end of story.

K9GLS, AC2NT and N3AB like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.