ad: ProAudio-1

CONUS is OBSOLETE

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by AA7BQ, Oct 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: Left-3
  1. N4GKS

N4GKS Ham Member QRZ Page

Some people ask for money orders only. If anyone is foolish enough to do this, and gets ripped off, going to court in Alaska or Hawaii would be implausible. However, Paypal would backcharge, so I wouldn't have a problem shipping to anywhere in the US, INCLUDING Hawaii or Alaska.

2. KL7FZ

KL7FZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Fred! I have been fighting this situation since I came to Alaska.
    Recently rates via USPS have come to parity with prices in the lower 48.
    If items are 70 pounds or below, Priority shipping from the east coast to the west coast are EXACTLY the same as to me here in southcentral Alaska.
    If they don't fit Flat rate boxes... no matter. Still the same via Prioity. Rates from New York or Florida to LA, Seattle, Portland, etc are the same to me in Alaska. To the penny. I bought and sold a bunch since I have been in Alaska and things have now evened out. Not like the early days of Alaska when you purchased eggs or foodstuffs and it arrived green. Green eggs and ham. And it seemed you had to wait forever for parts or gear.
    Now Priority gets here in 2 or 3 days. I have even received it in ONE day! You can always get things in 1 day via Express but Priority has really stepped it up.
    Over my last 12 years or so I have shipped approximately 10,000 shipments out of Alaska. All electronics. The only problem or place I have refused to ship to was a country in South America in which half of all items disappeared or never were seen again.

NOW: As to FedEx or UPS. 10 years ago FedEx Ground was cheap. I shipped many many boxes weighing 150 pounds to New York. They were around $75 to $80. Now they are near $300!
    Also there was a disparity as to the prices FROM Alaska versus TO Alaska. TO Alaska was a lot more than FROM Alaska. Now they are closer.
    UPS has always been high.
    I have used them all. I always gave my customers the estimates of shipping and their choice of which method. I spent a lot of time doing the estimations. But it made for happy customers. And a lot of repeat business.
    They are now very expensive and should be used only under special circumstances.

Also when possible and I had a lot of a given items and needed to get rid of them I always included free items as the boxes allowed. If I sold a lot of 20 cables and it was a flat rate box, and I could fit more then I would add another 5 or sometimes as many as 10 extra free cables. Boy! That brought the buyers back for more. Over and over.
    Of course then when I went online and needed a cable, the seller said "Conus only"! Crap!
    I had one seller online many years ago that had ham gear. All small stuff. Easy to ship. He absolutely refused to ship to me. I offered more than he was asking. Sometimes a lot more. I offered to pay any extra shipping costs. NOPE! Would not sell to Alaska. I threatened to cut off oil shipments to California as a result. He must had had an electric car!

Well the world is changing. Free shipping from China. I got some mics from China recently. They sent too many. It cost more to ship them back that the actual costs of the mics. They said just keep them. And then more packages of mics started showing up! It took quite a bit of doing to keep them from sending more and more. I am well stocked on Chinese Kenwood mics now. Maybe I need to check to make sure there are no Trojan chips in them!

I still see the "Conus" used a lot BUT on ebay half the items I am interested in say "Does not ship to Alaska or Hawaii". Even items that fit flat rate boxes.
    I do use a company named "Ship to Alaska.com". It gives us a street and postal address at SeaTac and they ship containers to Alaska twice week. Rates are reasonable. After arriving in Anchorage they will put it back in the mail or forward it via FedEx or UPS to the rest of the state. Good workaround if needed.

There is a "ShiptoHawaii.com" also.

Once again: Thanks Fred for calling attention to this.

Steve KL7FZ
    Wasilla, Alaska

K4AGO and AL4Y like this.
  3. KC2FQ

KC2FQ Ham Member QRZ Page

The original ripoff artists were sellers so it's foolish to call anyone foolish these days because there are scammers all over the place now. You can very easily be scammed as a seller through Paypal too. Paypal is VERY protective of buyers and for the past decade or so I've had many friends ripped off big on items they've sold. It goes like this: Buyer pays, seller ships, buyer claims the product wasn't as advertised. Paypal refunds the buyer first thing (and that means they take the money back from you immediately, which you already gave them permission to do) and then informs you of the problem. You can show them receipts and videos of you boxing it up and taking it to the post office, whatever, you are most likely going to lose and you might not even get the item back. They've since added a layer of seller protection but it's still not a situation that you'll enjoy either way.

It's a risk no matter what you do. All you can do is try and verify whatever you can verify and hope it goes well.

4. VE3TMT

VE3TMT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I always thought it meant "contiguous" as in one complete land mass.

5. VE7GMX

VE7GMX Ham Member QRZ Page

Try being a Canadian and seeing CONUS all the time , we're right next door and almost cheaper to ship to from the US then inside your own country . All the time on Ebay , Will only ship to the United States ! Ugh .

:)

6. KE4D

KE4D Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I shipped a screwdriver to WA state for a repair. $36 via UPS. The manufacturer shipped it back to me via USPS for $20.

7. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Retail UPS and USPS have skyrocketed because Amazon practically gets free freight.

Manufacturers / commercial accounts get a better price, but they're still being charged a lot more than in the past.

It really sucks for "the little guy" to ship stuff. I've pretty much stopped selling with shipment involved, other than just small stuff and "flat rate box" stuff.

Dave
    W7UUU

8. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

[​IMG]

9. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

For that price I would drive up to your place Dave. But that's a perk not many would get to enjoy, since we're so close.

W7UUU likes this.
  10. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

That would be fun :) Maybe one of these days I'll list something for sale that you want or other way 'round

Dave
    W7UUU

WZ7U likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.