CONUS is OBSOLETE

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Gear For Sale' started by AA7BQ, Oct 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KH6TA

KH6TA Ham Member QRZ Page

ALOHA,

For all of you who just don't get it, I believe the point Fred was trying to make is that IF you live
    in any of the US50 States, and the item you are selling is not an old boat anchor, a USPS Priority
    Mail (3-Day) Medium/Large Flat Rate Box will cost you < $15-$20 and can weigh up to 70# and
    includes $50 insurance. Destinations include those pesky non-CONUS locations such as Hawaii,
    Alaska, USVI, PR & GU. If it fits, it ships! You are in a Global Hobby, so think more globally. We
    buy & Sell lots of stuff on QRZ Swap (NO Boat Anchors).

Much Mahalo

W4FZR likes this.
  2. KD5SPX

KD5SPX Ham Member QRZ Page

The way I look at it is its my stuff to sell as I wish under my conditions. If the market decides they dont want it then I make the choice what to do to sell it. Once again its my stuff to sell as I wish, if qrz wants to put unacceptable to me rules to sell it then I will make the choice to either meet the rules or take my stuff else where to sell.Yes I may have to adapt or pay to sell it or wait and take it to a hamfest but again thats my choice.

So Qrz wanrs donations but again thats market driven, with fewer and fewer younger hams one day Qrz may find itself just like the Arrl is headed decreasing membership and fewer members and less operating money then Qrz can make its decision what to do to sell their service, but the way I look at it its my stuff and if I dont like the rules you place on me for free ads I will go elsewhere.

Just like if I dont like the price I will take my dollars elsewhere older hams should realize that stuff you dont use doesnt collect 10k gold on it when not being used and when I do buy something off qrz I add 3.5% to the price asked out of cortesy to cover my paypal fee the user gets charged its just the right thing to do cause im already not paying sales tax on it.

Wake up America!

N3AB likes this.
  3. NO2Y

NO2Y Ham Member QRZ Page

I sold my stuff to the continental 48 priority mail until a guy in Hawaii and a guy in Puerto Rico contacted me and told me priority mail rates actually cover them. I checked and they were right.

So now I ship "to US addresses".

N2EY likes this.
  4. W2TXB

W2TXB Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe every "For Sale" post should display how (i.e., by which carrier) the item would be shipped, such that "CONUS" would apply to carriers other than USPS Priority Mail. That may clear things up (or not).

5. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

There's a way.....but it's not easy nor cheap.

The way to ship a DX-100 by USPS is to open it up, take out the big transformers and chokes, and ship them separately in flat rate boxes. Might as well take out the tubes as well. The resulting chassis/cabinet won't weigh much with the iron removed.

Of course that's extra work, extra cost, and the buyer has to put it all back together. But it can be done.

Let's see....HV plate transformer (5 wires), HV filter choke (2 wires), mod transformer (6 wires?). Should do the trick.

73 de Jim, N2EY

6. KB9KQU

KB9KQU Ham Member QRZ Page

In essence Mr. Admin., maybe you SHOULD have done some research before you started spouting off!

KD5SPX and N3AB like this.
  7. WB0MPB

WB0MPB Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree with the packaging hassle. I did not mind the part of going to the PO. I don't like it so much anymore because right now I can hardly walk! But I hate packing the items up. Not just because it is work but I am always nervous as to if I am getting it packed good enough to make the trip OK. My next ad, a station package, I will be nervous about packaging it up.

Also when it comes to flat rate shipping you can win and you can lose. The last item I sold a couple weeks ago, I was going to go get a $13.?? flat rate box but did not want to go through the hassle of going to the PO to get one. So I decided to just use a box I had in the closet and pack it in that and ship it non-flat rate. So with that one I won. Instead of paying $13 flat it cost me $8.00 with tracking and standard insurance. So I saved $5.00 on shipping. So flat is not always the best way to go.

John, WB0MPB

8. WB7OXP

WB7OXP Ham Member Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

i always weigh even the flat rate boxes, OFTEN, it is easier (cheaper) to pay pounds and dimensions instead of the flat rate

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    WB0MPB likes this.
  9. AC2NT

AC2NT Ham Member QRZ Page

I totally agree. I recently saved 6 bucks over a "flat rate medium box". It only had to travel about 60 miles from my QTH. So consider
    distance before shipping "flat rate".
    Also, don't forget "Regional A and B" box. Now, there is a REAL savings. The catch is there is a weight limit.
    The trick is that USPS wants to push the "flat rate" on you. So, if you want those A and B boxes you'll have to order them on line.
    They do not make them available at your local post office. They don't even advertise that service too much.

BTW... USPS just requested a price hike of 5 cents for every "First Class" ounce.

Before you know it, they'll be asking to hike the prices on package deliveries.

The damage to the USPS service started when you no longer had to write a check for your credit card, utility bills, etc.
    I believe that "Bill Pay" has killed a lot of USPS business. Then again, so did facsimile technology.

That's my nickel's worth for the day.

73 everyone.

Chris - AC2NT.

10. VE3TMT

VE3TMT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What about Canada? Shipping to Canada is no different than shipping to a US address, except that you might have to fill out a Customs declaration. Any taxes due are the responsibility of the receiver, not the shipper. And there is no duty on amateur radio equipment.

For future reference, the applicable HS Tariff for amateur radio equipment coming into Canada is 8527.99.10.00. There, I just made it easy for you.

There is far more selection on gear for sale in the US, only to find out the seller ships to "CONUS" only. I have a US Post Office Box, buts it's a pain to drive over and pick things up. Negates any savings I may have made.

So please guys, consider your neighbors to the north!!

Max
    VE3TMT

VE1PEW and N0TZU like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.