CONUS is OBSOLETE

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by AA7BQ, Oct 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. WA7F

WA7F Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have nothing against shipping outside of the 48 but, conus is a good delineator for shipping cost. Typically I’ll state a price shipped conus, other locations negotiable. So if our HI, AK, or any international friends are willing to pick up the extra fees then all is good.

AL4Y likes this.
  2. WA7F

I agree that USPS is typically the best bang for the buck.

N4KRX likes this.
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

So do some online math for USPS boxes at 71 pounds or more - to anywhere "in the USA" (including PR, HI, AK, Guam, etc.)

Let me know what you find out.

Please do post your results :)

Do screen captures, as I have done

Dave
    W7UUU

K4AGO and N2EY like this.
  4. WA7F

What ticks me off most about shipping is when someone describes their item to great extent only to end with, “local pick up only.” If they really don’t want to ship then maybe Craigslist or the local newspaper would be a better choice than an international forum.

Otherwise state LPO “named place” in the title or at the beginning of the description so us out of towners can avoid your lazy arse.

N9TGW, N0YPD, KH2RU and 5 others like this.
  5. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Is this a dig at ME? I hope not :)

I sell in person every chance I get. I have stuff for sale that way. It's my preference like the "old days"

"Old School"

Dave
    W7UUU

K4AGO and N7KJ like this.
  6. WA7F

Not a dig at you so don’t take it personal. If you want to sell local just say so up front. Maybe I’ll make the drive if I really want what your are selling. It’s just disappointing you see something that you have been searching for only to learn at the end that someone is unwilling to get off their backside and go to the post office.

N9TGW likes this.
  7. VE1PEW

VE1PEW Ham Member QRZ Page

HI and AK? Try living in Canada and see how much listed will not ship to you.

KC1DR, N4AXE, VE6NS and 1 other person like this.
  8. K1OIK

K1OIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have tried shipping to Canada and if the recipient won't pay some duty or tax, they come back at me to get it. I have had Canadians get a Maine address to avoid those problems. I will never ship to Canada again. Be warned.

W7UUU and N7KJ like this.
  9. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I doubt it's "get off their backside and go to the post office" so much as the packing hassle. And for myself, I don't mind going to the post office - IF it's for something I can do at the 24/7 self service kiosk in the lobby of mine. Going to the window is a pain on the level of the DMV. I've lived in small towns where this was not so (for that matter, neither was the driver's license office - god I miss living in a truly small town...) but here in the suburbs of Atlanta I DETEST going to the window for anything. There is always a line and the clerks, while efficient and reasonably polite, are mostly so bored it's like dealing with a machine, only without the humanity. It's a truly depressing experience. Oh, and the packing.

Seriously, the packing is the big part of it, or at least would be for me.

WZ7U likes this.
  10. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Of course not. But shipping the same 70 lb item to Puerto Rico costs the SAME as it does to Miami or New York from your location.

KH2RU, NH7RO and NH7R like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.