CONUS is OBSOLETE

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Gear For Sale' started by AA7BQ, Oct 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
  1. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder Administrator QRZ Page

Every day we see for sale ads that specify "Shipping to CONUS" or "CONUS Only". This is totally obsolete.

CONUS means "Continental US(A)", or in other words, the lower 48 states. Do you have something against our colleagues in Alaska or Hawaii? You shouldn't, because USPS delivers flat rate packages not only to AK and HI, but also to Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands. In other words, to any USPS address.

It is true that UPS and FedEx may surcharge for more distant deliveries, but not the USPS. It's a bargain, especially when compared to their inflated and arbitrary "fuel surcharges" that they charge just because they can. Those fees are entirely similar to "shop fees" that some mechanics charge, ostensibly to cover their their consumables like paper towels, cleaning fluid, and rags, even if they don't use any.

Recently, I just about fell out of my chair when I saw an expensive handheld being offered for $2300 with the caveat "plus $15 for shipping, CONUS". ARE YOU KIDDING ME? $15 bucks is 0.6 percent of the deal. I don't know about you but I would walk on such an offer, just on the principle alone.

People hate being nickled and dimed. Free Shipping (i.e. paid by the seller) is a GOLDEN marketing strategy. Why shoot yourself in the foot for demanding a few more pennies at the end of the deal? Just figure the shipping into the asking price, it's isn't that difficult. People will generally rather pay a little more and get free shipping than pay an added shipping fee, even when the final amounts are the same.

Disclaimer: I didn't research the statements that I made above. I just used my 25 years of experience of running this swapmeet instead. HI HI

73, -fred

WB5PDZ, W2CQ, KC7ES and 56 others like this.
  2. KS4W

KS4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Amen!

NH7RO and KH6TA like this.
  3. WZ7U

WZ7U Subscriber QRZ Page

I always wondered about that.
    More specifically, why someone wants to restrict the number of potential sales chances as well as piss a number of potential buyers off for a non issue.

Right up there with the whole parts swappers rigamarole. To each their own...

NH7RO and KH6TA like this.
  4. KC2FQ

KC2FQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Ever since the Post Office came out with Priority Mail, they've beaten UPS and Fedex about 90% OR MORE of the time, from my experience, which is extensive at this point. I have accounts with all of them and even with my UPS discount, the USPS still wins on just about all occasions. Add to that free boxes, free pickup at home, free first $50 insured and (despite what some stuck in the past folks might say) awesome reliability and you just cannot do better or better for less. Sorry to sound like a commercial but it's true. Be sure to check out Priority Mail's "Regional A" and "Regional B" boxes. You have to order those online (free and shipped free to your house) but they will save you even more.

KJ7WT, NH7RO, N0CEL and 4 others like this.
  5. N4CYA

N4CYA QRZ MODERATOR Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Good to know. When I sale things here and there I always ship around the states but every now and then some won't pay for the cost when I try to explain the breakdown of the cost from USPS Standard, First Class, Priority mail.

6. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

$2300 for an H.T.??
    Is it Gold plated ??

WB5PDZ, KJ4POM, KE4RWS and 2 others like this.
  7. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Volunteer Moderator Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

UPS, FedEX and DHL are WILDLY expensive to Alaska or Hawaii. Those shippers do not offer "Flat Rate Boxes"

If you cannot ship USPS via "Flat Rate Box", USP, FedEx, and DHL rates vary wildly the farther you go, the larger the box, and the more it weighs - and shipping from WA (where I live) to MA via UPS, FedEX or DHL is WAAAAYYYY more expensive than UPS to Portland Oregon.

If I list an item that can go USPS "Flat Rate Box" fine - but if I have to ship UPS or FedEX, buyer pays the actual freight no matter where in the US they live.

It's very simple. Unless shipping a letter or Flat Rate Box, shipping rates VARY BY SHIPPING COMPANY, weight, box size, and DISTANCE. Just look it up.

I will happily ship anywhere in the 50 states and its possessions, but the buyer will have to pay for the ACTUAL shipping cost to get it to them.

Dave
    W7UUU

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    W0ZZG, K4AGO, W4RAV and 9 others like this.
  8. K1OIK

K1OIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

My experience is different on packages under 10 pounds USPS wins, over 10 pounds FedEX wins sometimes by huge margins. But I will take another look.
    I always list the shipping separate as I find many people care only about the equipment price. I always include insurance.
    Trying to collect on insurance with USPS is almost impossible. I charge a flat rate for shipping, sometimes I win, rarely do I lose.
    If I was selling something light for $2300 I doubt I would charge shipping.
    QRZ swapmeet is very well run.

N6MST and KH6TA like this.
  9. WP4I

WP4I Ham Member QRZ Page

ohhhj god finally... how many times i had to explain same! i have been insulted named up to called thieves for claiming this..
    hopefully more and more understand that sending usps to pr is same effort as sending to your next house... pack and ship. no custom forms no nothing. by the way im receiving no only flat rates.. all priority in 2 days!

K2OY, NH7RO and KH6TA like this.
  10. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Volunteer Moderator Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

So if you buy one of my boatanchors, it will cost $183 to ship to San Juan Puerto Rico. To ship to Portland Oregon from where I live would be $69

Your point makes no sense beyond the "flat rate box" or US Stamp / Envelope for just little stuff... stuff that can fit in a "flat rate box". Pretty hard to put an HQ-180 in a flat rate box.

Actual USPS quotes below. I'm not making it up.

NO WAY I could ship to Puerto Rico for the same price as to Portland, OR.

Also, note that USPS stops at 70 pounds!!! What if I have sold you a Heathkit DX-100 (110 pounds, before box/packing)? USPS won't even touch it!

How do you figure it's even close to the same price???

Dave
    W7UUU

Please feel free to do your own research - 70 pounds, 24" x 24" x 24" from 98366 to you

Portland.PNG San Juan.PNG

N7PHX, W0ZZG, KD5UVI and 10 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.