controlling a ft818 with Maclogger

Discussion in 'Mac Ham Radio on macOS & iOS' started by KB8RJE, Aug 8, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KB8RJE

KB8RJE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi everyone I have a dumb question I have not found the answer for online. and I was hoping for some help.
    I have an ft 818, a signal link USB for FT8, and a MacBook pro with maclogger dx. can I use the signal link and a controller to control my rig while on ft8? and if I can what do I need to get to make it happen.

thank you

2. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

The SignaLink USB only provides a audio path with a built-in PTT function. In order to do CAT control with MacLoggerDX, you'll also need a CAT connection between the Mac and the FT818. The USA-19HS from Triplite is a very popular choice used by many. Finally, you'll need something like the CT-62 cable to get from the DB9 connector on the USA-19HS down to the connector on the back of the rig.

That being said, there's no NEED for cat control You can set the rig to the correct frequency manually, and do the same in WSJT-X/MacLoggerDX, and then simply operate using the SignaLink USB as your USB sound card. If you change bands you'll have to remember to change it in the software manually, but it is completely do-able.

3. KB8RJE

Thanks so much. I was just more curious than anything else. Would it help if I already have the RT systems cord for programming the FT818 or would I have to go and get the couple things that you mentioned?

4. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I'm not sure what the limitations of the RT systems cable is, if any. I'm not even sure if it is supported on Mac.

5. KB8RJE

I have hooked the cable up to the Mac and ran their software to program the memory’s in the radio.