Control Operator

Discussion in 'On-Air Operations - Q&A' started by KE4ELF, Nov 23, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KE4ELF

    KE4ELF Ham Member QRZ Page

    Have a question. I'm a General and I have a friend that is a Tech. I know I can let him operate within the General portions of the band as long as I am the control operator... my question is how does he need to ID? Is it just simply with my call or his call slash my call? I can't remember for the life of me.
  2. NN4RH

    NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

    Think about it this way:

    You could "lend" your station to the other operator. In that case he is the control operator, and must identify using his callsign, and operate only within his own license privileges.

    Or, he can be a "guest" operating your station, with you as control operator. In that case, operation is under your license privileges, using your callsign.

    He can, if he wishes, append his own callsign, e.g. NN4RH (control operator)/KE4ELF (guest operator), but it's your station, your callsign, your privileges, that go with the transmissions.

    The one thing he definitely cannot do is operate outside his license privileges using only his callsign to identify.
  3. KE4ELF

    KE4ELF Ham Member QRZ Page

    Thank you. Makes sense now that I think about it.

    Happy Thanksgiving.

Share This Page