Control a TIP121 used as a relay switch from 5V and 12V??

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by 2E0ILY, Dec 6, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. 2E0ILY

2E0ILY Ham Member QRZ Page

Only one of the devices, either the U3Swith its ATMEGA or the TS-590 will be connected, it's impossible to connect both simultaneously, so that's one less worry! Thanks for the reply Joseph.

I have a diode across the relay, I have been using the box (antenna change over) with the U3S for a while, but now want to use it with the 590 and an external amp.

2. WA7ARK

WA7ARK Ham Member QRZ Page

Here is how I would do it as shown in an LTSpice simulation:

79.png

I plot the relevant node voltages and currents. I had assumed (before I saw your more recent posting) that the two drive signals could overlap. Of interest is the simulated realistic delay in the relay coil current, both on pick-up and drop-out...

By examining V(C), you can see the snubbing action of D3. Note that the collector voltage V(C) is clamped to one diode drop above 14V.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  3. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

I would add a couple steering diodes, one each on each of the 2 output lines.

Rege

4. WA7ARK

WA7ARK Ham Member QRZ Page

I put steering diodes into the first (un-posted simulation). However, since the base-to-emitter voltage is clamped by the TIP121, and only goes to ~1.6V, there is no way that the 12V signal can back-feed into the ATMEGA output pin. Anyway, the OP says that both sources will never be connected at the same time....

K7JEM likes this.