Contests

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by M6LIY, Mar 16, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. M6LIY

M6LIY Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi, just wanted to know about contests, as a fairly new operator I here these contests now and again and join in the best I can. If somebody logs me can i call this a log on my qrz log book. Many thanks m6liy

N4NYK and KK5JY like this.
  2. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

ABSOLUTELY!!! You bet - a contest contact is a contact like any other as far as "counting for things". Just as long as it gets confirmed by the other party. Contesting is a TERRIFIC way to get new entities - new DX for your DXCC, new states for your W.A.S., new Japan stations for your Worked All Japan, etc. You do NOT need to submit a "contest log" if you don't want to. It's courteous if you do, but not required.

But a good rule of thumb (at least in my view) is to work at least 10 stations in every contest that you do NOT submit a contest log. That way the contest logging scanning software won't toss your call points out for some station you worked but you didn't submit a log. Those are called 'uniques' and can cause contesters to lose points. But if you work at least 10 stations, the software scanning the submitted logs will see you in multiple logs and the points will count

I do this all the time.

Have fun :)

Dave
    W7UUU

WU8Y likes this.
  3. M6LIY

M6LIY Ham Member QRZ Page

Many thanks for your reply , you've been very helpful. There is so much to learn in this great hobby. From Howard. M6liy

4. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

The FIRST thing to do is learn all the details of a contest. There are many sponsors, and you could seek/find the website for each. However, that would be a yuuge bother. Fortunately, WA7BNM created the Contest Calendar (http://www.hornucopia.com/). Contests are listed by type and date of occurrence. And, the listings show the details in a consistent format. :)

US7IGN likes this.
  5. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

6. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

If you don't submit a log to the contest sponsor, your single QSO in a log that gets submitted will likely be thrown out as a "unique" - meaning, a busted call or just got made up or whatever. The actual contester who submitted a log for points will likely not get those points.

If, however, you appear in TEN logs being submitted, the contest log scanning software will see your call TEN times and therefore not likely a "unique" as a busted call.

Not all contest sponsors do this but it's just good form, if you don't plan to submit a contest log, to work a small number of stations for this reason.

Just courtesy is all

If you DO PLAN to submit a log in the contest, just a single QSO is fine because the logs will match

Dave
    W7UUU

7. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

FIRST, you'll want to know what info is needed in the QSO exchange. Then, if you want to turn in a log, you need to know what it needs to contain, the format, and where to send/post it. The Contest Calendar contains that info. :)

8. WU8Y

WU8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

If possible, if you don't work 10 QSOs, submit a checklog. That's a little more complicated than just working the QSOs, but it helps the contest organisers.

N4NYK likes this.
  9. W7UUU

Yes - exactly my point. It's just a courtesy - not required but I try to do it most of the time.

Dave
    W7UUU

WU8Y likes this.
  10. WU8Y

WU8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Right, showing up in 10 QSOs rather obviates the checklog, but if you show up in < 10 QSOs and don't submit a checklog then it becomes questionable.

W7UUU likes this.