Contests and raw newbe

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by MM7DSA, Jul 18, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: l-gcopper
  1. KM1NDY

KM1NDY Ham Member QRZ Page

Gotta admit, there are more than a few times I've cringed when I have to say "one"...

2. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Stereo?:D

3. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Everybody has to start with #1 SOMETIME!:D What IS disingenuous (and at least a bit :eek:unethical) is an op who "starts" with an arbitrary random number:(, and builds from that. You just KNOW when you are supposedly #524 that an op hasn't made 523 contacts before you in the first ten minutes of a contest.:mad:

(IMHO. at least, any op guilty of that should be disqualified on the first offense, and permanently banned if the practice continues. IMHO, of course:rolleyes:.)

K2CD likes this.
  4. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Simple. Go here, WA7BNM Contest Calendar: 12-Month Calendar

Click "rules" for the contest you are going to be working, and you will learn what the exchange is. Sometimes, you can figure it out just from listening to a couple of contacts (RST and state, for example).

Have fun. :)

5. KE4ET

KE4ET XML Subscriber QRZ Page

To the OP - not getting responses to your CQs may indicate that something with your station could use improvement. If you are operating SSB (LSB,USB) or another phone mode, I suggest getting in contact with any station you hear who has good clear clean audio of good signal level, and asking for help.

I run lots of pileups. There are quite a number of stations out there running legal limit smashing the airwaves to submission with their station. And I think some of those get a little miffed when I go back to the QRP station that called at the same time. What they probably don't realize is that QRP station had really clean clear comprehensible audio. The QRO station definitely did not! It was full of mud! So though the QRP station was much weaker and both were transmitting at the same time, the one I could understand was the QRP station. This happens a fair bit. Quality of signal is worth more than quantity of signal!

So get with one or more ops on the air who have good audio - and therefore have better than average odds of being able to judge good audio.

3 camps for good audio: One camp wants to sound like broadcasters - enhanced bass etc. (Sometimes to the extreme of ESSB which I philosophically disagree with as it is using more bandwidth than you need - stealing from others. But that's another story. Really pleasing audio doesn't have to be ESSB to be GOOD) This type of audio is fine for armchair copying S9 signals. If not ESSB, lower freq is probably around 100Hz and upper end towards 3000. But if you want to work DX this sort of setting is a minus. Second camp has a signal that is not as wide, so the spectral power density is higher. It does not have a bass emphasis. The lower end probably cuts off around 200Hz. It sounds fairly natural. This is good for general communications, being pleasant to listen to for long periods, and sounding clean enough to get through when some other stations can't. Third camp is contesters and serious DXers. This camp uses a narrower transmit bandwidth to increase the spectral power density even higher, and to be better able to squeeze the signal into very crowded bands. There will be little to no bass, with a lower cutoff of 300Hz or even a bit higher. Mid and upper mids will be accentuated - this is the frequency range which contributes intelligibility to the audio rather than "beauty" to the sound. High end is also cut. Upper freq is probably around 2.4KHz, for a bandwidth of 2.1KHz. Some are even narrower, down around 1.8KHz wide. It cuts through stuff cleanly, but is not as pleasant to listen to for long periods. So it is not ideal for Rag Chew conversations but better suited for quick exhanges and cutting through pileups - AKA DX and Contest type work.

In any of these camps, getting audio drive level and compression level set well is important. Many stations get drive level way off. Too high is muddy. Too low is wimpy. On compression, a little helps a lot! A lot turns it to crap.

So getting with one or more good ears on the air to get your signal sorted out might help you out a lot. And if you ever work me, even if I'm running a pileup, just ask what I think of your signal. I'll give you a quick honest assessment though I might not take the time out at that time to help you out with improving it. Depends on whether I'm running pileup mode or not and how much time I have.

Not being in any of these camps is less than ideal. Each has its purpose. What is your purpose?

You also don't have to have only one audio configuration. You can actually do quite a bit by being in camp #2, and then just narrowing your transmit bandwidth a little when you want to work in camp #3.

Gerald KE4ET

W1VKE likes this.
  6. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

I always use binary when sending my serial number.....yes, 101011

7. KM1NDY

KM1NDY Ham Member QRZ Page

I was always under the impression that the number was simply a check, not a real count of any sort. I don't know why you would bother, but I don't think you even need to go sequentially with your numbers.

Definitely does not bother me what others start with. It would bother me if I started with something other than 1 though due to my own personality traits.

I think low number single digits in a contest setting flags you as potentially not being serious about the contest, and therefore perhaps not submitting your scores. And single numbers can be somewhat hard to hear during an exchange for some reason.

(My opinion, since you brought me back in to this one, haha!)

Mindy

8. KS2G

KS2G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Not only disingenuous, but a violation of the contest rules:

For example:
    IV. EXCHANGE:
    RS(T) report plus a progressive contact serial number starting with 001 for the first contact.
    [my emphasis added]
    https://cqwpx.com/rules.htm

Of course, anyone who does that probably doesn't care about the contest rules, anyway.
    ;)

WA9SVD likes this.
  9. KS2G

KS2G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, you do.

For example:
    IV. EXCHANGE:
    RS(T) report plus a progressive contact serial number starting with 001 for the first contact.
    [my emphasis added]
    https://cqwpx.com/rules.htm

;)

10. KE4ET

KE4ET XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If you dup a contest station, they may come back with dup and return your number for you to check your own logs. Others have figured out it is slightly faster to just take your contact a second time.