Contests and raw newbe

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by MM7DSA, Jul 18, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: QSOToday-1
  1. MM7DSA

MM7DSA Ham Member QRZ Page

I have raised this wrongly I think in the SKED forums so here goes on this one. Building up my contact record on QRZ mainly though contest use as no takers to the usual cq requests. However this evening raised my callsign with YL3JA in Latvia who was calling cq contest. He answered my callsign and asked me for his number ? What? I told him not known so he asked for my age. Never had this response before so I am looking for some guidance here. His whole performance was so fast it was like listening to a machine gun as he seemed in a hurry to get as many on his list? as possible. Very few seemed to respond to him. Listed him as a contact anyway making him number 82 since 8 June this year so reasonably happy as I am more into experimenting with home built antennas and only spend about 30 minutes nightly on the air due to nursing commitments. Now in my 80's but willing to learn although puzzled by the request for a "number". How can I prepare for this in the future? Thanks for any help.

Doug MM7DSA

2. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

3. K2CD

K2CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Doug, There are a couple of good resources to keep abreast of contests. Below is one example. You can see the weekly calendar and determine which one might suit your interests. When you bring up the info on a specific contest it will show you the rules and the exchange info (the number or whatever the value they are using).

https://www.contestcalendar.com/weeklycont.php

4. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Advice so nice we posted it twice :D

K2CD likes this.
  5. K2CD

K2CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Simultaneously, even. I feel the synchronicity. :p

WZ7U likes this.
  6. KS2G

KS2G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Doug,

From your description, it appears that he was operating in the YOTA Contest (Youth on the Air) in which the contest "exchange" (the information that stations provide to each other) is RST plus operator's age.
    See: https://www.ham-yota.com/contest/#rules
    It's not a very big event --as contests go-- hence why you heard him not getting too many responses.

As others have posted in this thread, each contest has it's own "exchange" as described in the contest rules ... which can usually be found on the https://www.contestcalendar.com web site.

And, yes, I'm sure that he was in a hurry to make as many contacts as possible.
    That's the idea of contesting.
    ;)

And, BTW, as noted in another current thread here on The Zed ... although there are a few exceptions, you don't have to be "in the contest" (e.g. send in a log) for the stations you work to get credit for your contact. Just be sure to work at least 4 or 5 stations so that when contest logs are checked you show up in a few of them, so that it's clear that your call sign wasn't an incorrectly copied version of someone else, in which case the contact would not be valid.

Mel - KS2G

7. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

You did exactly the right thing--you didn't know what information he needed, so you asked, and he told you. As noted above, you can save a little time by looking it up beforehand.

In many contests, if they are giving numbers, it is a serial number for the QSO, along with a signal report. So often, for your first QSO, you will say 59 1, and the next one 59 2. To sound like an optimist, I usually put a couple of zeroes in front of the number, so I say 59 001.

Operator's age is an unusual request, but young guys like you and I can handle it. :)

8. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

When working someone with a high QSO count, I like to add 57 or 64 to the other op's serial number to use as my serial number - just to mess with his head.

WE4E likes this.
  9. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

I was actually going to add that to my post, but decided that's too advanced for a beginner. It's kind of like back in the day, many stores stated that they wouldn't take checks below a certain number. So when you opened a new bank account, you asked them to start the checks at number 1000, and they were happy to oblige.

KC1NY, K5ABB, KP4SX and 1 other person like this.
  10. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like we went to different schools together.