ad: QSKLLC-1

Contester’s Code of Ethics - what is "enter"?

Discussion in 'On-Air Operations - Q&A' started by KT5WB, Jul 18, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. KT5WB

KT5WB Ham Member QRZ Page

How does one define "enter" in this context?
    Suppose that a station operates during a contest, makes contacts with other "contest" stations, but has no intention to submit a log to the contest organizer. Is this frowned upon?
    If a station calls "CQ Field Day", or responds to such a CQ, but has no intent to submit a log to ARRL at the end, is this discouraged?
    Is an operator bound by the contest rules if they call and respond to contest operators, yet have no intention to submit a log?

2. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member Number 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

No. Not required at all. As long as you give the proper exchange, work all the contest stations you like.

It's possible that for any given contest if you only work one or two stations, you will appear to the software that analyzes logs and appear as a "unique" and will be dismissed as points for the contester... the software assumes you're a busted call since no other log shows you listed - so I always make a point to work at least TEN stations in any given contest so that the analytics will see me appear in more than one log and therefore the points my contact provides will be given to the one who submitted the log.

But you are NOT required to send in a log or even work the "ten stations"

Dave
    W7UUU

K7TRF, K9ASE and N2EY like this.
  3. KT5WB

Taking it a step further. Suppose contest ABC has a QSY rule. An operator sits on the same freq for hours calling "CQ ABC", makes contacts, but then does not QSY. Again, if the operator has no intent to file a log, would this be frowned upon?

4. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

Intent, at that point in time, is known to you only unless you are going to be calling "CQ ABC but no intention of submitting a log".

To the other stations, if you are not calling CQ as mentioned above, you'll be seen as a 'full' participant.

There'll be no 'formal' penalty obviously, but contesters have 'long' memories. They will remember you as a 'lid' until you become known as a 'participant with no intention of submitting logs'.

In short, with the exception of not submitting a log to the contest organizers, you should follow all other contest rules, or at least the ones that are regularly monitored.

If you don't believe me, check the CQ-Contest mailing list after every major contest. People talk about the contest 'happenings'.

As always, YMMV, but you asked for other views on the subject.;)

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    NB3R, KT5WB and N2EY like this.
  5. KT5WB

Yes, I am asking for honest feedback. Thanks for your replies.

What I think I'm hearing is that degree of compliance to the rules may be a factor. Running 200w in a 100w contest might be overlooked, but not running full legal limit. Using spotting data in a contest that doesn't have an 'assisted' category might be overlooked.

So try not to be too flagrant or obvious about operating outside the rules and it shouldn't be too much of a big deal.

6. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes...but always, and only, in the context you presented and in the situation you described, that was, no intention to submit a log. Not competing for awards, trophies, 'glory', or a placement in the next WRTC.

I'm NOT/NOT advocating people follow the rules only if they can get caught.

Again, so that there is no doubt: The situation you initially described was that you wanted to make contacts in the contest, but not submit a log. That's perfectly fine, and encouraged by contest organizers and participants alike.

Then you asked about ignoring one of the rules, based on the fact that you do not intend to submit a log. I think you run the risk of being seen as a'cheater', since the other participants will not know, during the contest, that you have no intention to submit a log, and the fact that non-compliance with that particular rule is easy to spot.

Under no circunstances should 'formal' participants in the contest disobey, or try to 'game', the rules.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  7. KT5WB

Yes, for sure, all of this in the context of not competing for prizes, not submitting a log for the contest. Just for participating on-air and making contacts. If actually submitting a log and trying to compete then all rules should be followed.

8. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I participate in a lot of contests. Sometimes, if I have followed all the rules, I submit logs for consideration. Sometimes I submit check logs. Sometimes I don't. Sometimes the sponsors will ask me to submit a log, because my call sign appears in so many entries. On several occasions state QSO party sponsors have asked me to submit logs and ( having obeyed all the rules ) I did so, and actually won my category. Wasn't trying to. Was just enjoying making contacts.

I think that what is important is ( a ) sending the proper exchange and ( b ) working only stations that can gain by the contact ( e.g., if it's the Virginia QSO Party and you are not in Virginia, then work only Virginia stations ). In other words, don't try to work someone for whom the contact won't count for points. That way you are helping the other participants and not wasting their time. Otherwise, no problem being a casual participant.

But if there is any possibility that you might want to submit a log for consideration, then by all means obey all the rules for that contest.

W4POT, WG7X and KT5WB like this.
  9. W7DCM

W7DCM Ham Member QRZ Page

I would like to add that if you hear a station that's confirmed a country that you needed for a previous contest QSO, give him some points in this and future contests too.

10. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The thing is, the other contesters don't know that you're not actually competing and don't intend to send in a log so one or more might remind you that you're only supposed to work one station and then QSY to a new frequency. Sure it doesn't matter in the end since you won't send in your log and no one is counting up your points but you might get some flack for sitting on a frequency if that's not the way the contest is structured. Personally if I'm just casually contesting with no intention of submitting my log then I don't call CQ at all and revert to search and pounce operations in which case no one really cares what frequencies you work or in what order.

But to answer your original question, you are entering a contest when you will submit a log and have someone score your results. No harm in working contests you don't plan to 'enter', just for the QSOs. That can be a lot of fun in things like the DX contests.

KT5WB likes this.