Contest Zones?

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by KC8OZJ, Oct 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. KC8OZJ

KC8OZJ Ham Member QRZ Page

New to H.F. The contest going on this weekend requires that you exchange signal report and zone number. I looked up the I.T.U. zone and regions chart on the IARU web site to find out what zone I am located in. It looks like I am in zone 8, (Michigan, Oakland County). I made my first contact and was questioned if I was correct with zone 8. It sounded like I had the wrong number. I stopped my contacts with the contest for fear of the wrong number. Am I wrong with the number 8? What would be my zone number?
    Thanks in advance.:)

2. K3ACE

K3ACE Guest

3. KB3LIX

KB3LIX Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, you are in ITU zone 8

BUT,

in CQ WW the exchange is signal report and CQ ZONE !!!!

You are in CQ ZONE 4

4. K3ACE

K3ACE Guest

They aren't very clear about that in the rules. I think it just says Signal report and zone. using the CQ Zone does make sense though.

5. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

CQ WW

That's because this contest is the "CQ Worldwide" contest, sponsored by CQ magazine.

It is a bit confusing, but not if you follow the contests. The IARU also sponsors a contest where their zones are used: The IARU HF.

Gary

6. KC8OZJ

KC8OZJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for replies!

Thank you all for the replies. I now understand. I should have distinguished between CQ zone and the IARU H.F. zone, however being new to H.F. and first time doing a contest, I didn't know. I do now. Thanks again for you expert explanations! I appreciated them;):):):)

7. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That's OK, I always have to look it up, too. I don't use my CQ zone outside of their contests.

This weekend is Sweepstakes contest, and your ARRL Section is Michigan (MI). It's CW this weekend and SSB in two weeks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.