Contest Question - Mobile and Indicators

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KK5JY, Nov 8, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
  1. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

GAMESMANSHIP, pushing rules to limits for advantage, has long been a factor in radio sport, and not just at the highest levels. Some feel this is simply advancing the "state-of-the art", others feel its against the "spirit" of the operations and destructive.

IMO, the only thing worse is the ARBITRARINESS often exhibited by authorities that interpret rules and control the outcomes opaquely off-the-air. Vague rules and evasiveness simply stoke the issue.

This can be observed by the recent spike in monitoring and enforcement in DX contests, using SDR, RBN and DXC tech, often questionably, and subsequent rampant use of the DQ prerogative in such events as CQWW.

Also a lot of the recent rules changes, like requirement of top scorers to submit audio recordings of the entire event, and quicker log submitting, an attempt to prevent polishing and padding, for most contests.

Next, op's submit timely certified chain-of-custody blood / urine tests for PED's? :D

Hey, BIC time rules big scores, and 48 hours is brutal. ;)

73, John, WØPV

2. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

WiKi is just OPINION, whether or not based on fact. I can (or could) put a LOT of things in Wikipedia that is just plain hogwash. For instance, I could say I have proof Terra (the Earth) is FLAT. Others are free to dissent.

When operating in other jurisdictions, THEIR regulations can supersede those of the FCC. For instance, when operating in parts of Canada, whose inhabitants can use up to 200 or 2500 Watts output, FCC licensed ops would STILL be regulated to 1500 Watts out. That isn't exactly spelled out in §Part 97. They may well have regulations, requirements, and/or limitations on use of /P, /M, /AM, or /MM.

3. WA9SVD

If one "moves" between grids, sections, etc. even for "portable" setups in those locations, I would expect they would be in the "Rover" class, if that is available, whether or not operations was from a mobile mounted installation.

4. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

All data presented is opinion until accepted by peer review. Wiki's simply open up the reviewing pool.

Precisely since wiki's are OPEN, as pointed out, others are free to dissent, "plain hogwash" doesn't survive very long if at all before its challenged, modified, or deleted. While I understand a self-protective academic objection to open-sources like wiki, I disagree in its usefulness, especially when no differing sources are being presented by anyone else in this discussion yet.

International definitions, such as the one offered in the wiki, apparently from OFCOM, is one jurisdiction that differs from other hypothetical interpretations offered.

The use of that info was to further dispel the notion that the ITU regs have any bearing on the original issue, which is, primarily for USA Amateur Radio stations engaged in sponsored contests, aside from those events where /Rovers are used, there appears to be no official requirement or definition of where or when to use any call sign suffix, such as /M or /MM. Not even /P or /# for FD ;)

Now I'm getting more motivated about doing the ARRL 10m as /MM R2 instead of boringly too common FL. :D

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  5. WA9SVD

What I am saying is that WiKi is just that: opinion. It is not peer reviewed, per se.
    Yes so-called peers may review and rebut opinions, but they themselves can be mere opinions, rather than fact. I'd say WiKi is about 90% OK, if not totally accurate, but it is NOT an "ultimate authority" by any means, especially if info posted is not backed up by legitimate scientific sources.

Added: FCC rules are rather non-specific as to what CAN be used as a post suffix indicator, but is VERY specific as to what can NOT be used. See §Part 97.