ad: AbAuRe-1

Contest Question - Mobile and Indicators

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KK5JY, Nov 8, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
  1. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, no, not in this case.

Their explanation was quite clear.

My understanding was just fine.

The explanation offered didn't match the text of the rules, despite the clarity of each.

I decided that the mismatch wasn't worth a debate with the nice person who responded to me. Apparently, I'm getting the debate anyway. :( ;)

I was disappointed that they weren't able to back their explanation with a clear rule reference, but like many things in AR, it could just be the way they have always dun'nit.

2. KK5JY

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Wonder which contest that was or is?

I think in a lot of cases, contests were developed a long time ago and the original developers are "gone" so we can't ask them. New people take over administration and the "sponsorship" duties, and maybe even log checking and such, but were not involved in setting the original rules so they really don't know them well.

Also, contest rules do change. I haven't checked the CQ contest rules lately but the League sponsored contests change fairly often. They've added modes (like FT8 to multimode contests) and other stuff. Although the ARRL contests today do not include the WARC bands, there was a time, when those bands were "new" and not many on them, that Field Day did include the WARC bands, as I recall (early 90s?).

WA7PRC likes this.
  4. KK5JY

Yes, that would certainly make sense. Since there are some rather accomplished AR historians hanging around in the forums, it seemed like a reasonable bet to ask here. :)

Several major contests also have their rules broken down into several sets. E.g., the ARRL contests have a set of general rules, a set of general rules for HF, and a specific rule set for each contest. So it's entirely possible that my research just wasn't complete enough, and I missed some rules or official commentary that would have helped me understand.

5. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

That's a different (and imaginary) movie.
    Yes, in this case. Both versions were clearly stated and understood. That means there are two versions of the rules. Again, ask for clarification. Certainly, asking HERE isn't going to give you an answer because... no one here is the authority for that contest.

6. WA7PRC

"Official commentary" are the important words. :)

7. KK5JY

No doubt.

I was hoping for something that was published publicly, tho. A one-off email doesn't strike me as terribly authoritative, unless it refers to a clear set of rules that are available to anybody on the web. That's what I had hoped for, and just didn't receive.

8. WA7PRC

...yet. So, ask again. Maybe point out the difference between the published rules and their interpretation. After all, they're only human, and nobody's prefect. :p

9. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe not, but I'm special.

WA7PRC likes this.
  10. KK5JY

A very reasonable suggestion, and I do appreciate it. I just didn't see any reason to debate the matter -- the response I got was very friendly and the person tried to be helpful. And it was obvious that they didn't have any new information that I hadn't already seen.