Contest Question - Mobile and Indicators

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KK5JY, Nov 8, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

PV:

ITU regulations specify /MM or /AM (if in an airplane or other flying vehicle - i.e. a "blimp") when on, or above, international waters. Otherwise, even if in a boat or airplane, etc., you are just plain "mobile".

Glen, K9STH

KK5JY likes this.
  2. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

STH:

ITU regs appear to specify MM or AM only for applicable COMMERCIAL Maritime and/or Aeronautical services. No where is it seen in Article 25 or elsewhere that I can find any mention of WHERE that designation MUST be used in Amateur services. I searched the entire RR-2012 Vol I and nada; you can search the appendices if you wish.

This wiki, on Amateur radio call signs, which was the root for the one I cited earlier, indicates it is totally optional, "Other secondary operating suffixes can be attached such as /P (for portable operation), /M (for mobile operation), /AM (aeronautical mobile), /MM (maritime mobile), or /A (for operation from an alternative location that is registered with the licensing authorities). Depending on the jurisdiction, the use of these five suffixes may be required for these types of operation." (BUT NOT SEEN IN FCC PART 97 - PV)

Again, the point is not whether or not /MM is appended, it is WHERE, for purposes of amateur radio competitions, it takes effect. Neither the ITU, FCC, nor contest rules clearly define it.

John, WØPV

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I recall that also but a quick search (I spent about five minutes) couldn't find this. Possibly an old regulation that's since been abandoned or is just buried so deeply it's not easy to find.

And it seems "international waters" varies by country, too. While 12 NM seems to be a standard, the U.S. claims it's 3 NM. Heck I can see that far on a hazy day.:p

4. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

I haven't looked in the ITU regulations for a while. It could definitely be that the requirement for amateur radio operation has been dropped. It definitely was in those regulations and was cited by the ARRL in the past.

However, at least in my opinion, the regulations for the commercial services are a good thing to follow in these situations.

Glen, K9STH

5. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

The answer is simple...follow the rules for the contest. If in doubt, contact the contest sponsor. Do NOT rely on any other authority (guessers).

6. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

For what it's worth, I did try that with a specific upcoming contest. And I did get a friendly reply. :)

Unfortunately, the explanation I got wasn't well supported from the actual rules. :oops:

7. WA7PRC

Again, ONLY the contest sponsor's opinion matters. If you can't understand their interpretation, ask them to s'plain it so you can understand it.

8. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

It wasn't a matter of comprehension -- it was just that the rules didn't actually say what they were trying to explain.

9. WA7PRC

Let me s'plain it differently... if the way it was s'plained to you doesn't make sense, ask them to s'plain it so you can understand it. IOW, the problem is either your inability to understand it and/or the way they s'plained it was not good enough. Ask for clarification.

10. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

"It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission." - RDML Grace Hopper

KK5JY likes this.