Contest logging software for DXer?

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by N2IW, Nov 6, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. AA6YQ

AA6YQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My post was primarily aimed at readers here who might have been misled by your comments.

DXLab is not for everyone; ops should try all of the available applications, and choose the one that best meets their needs.

And for the record, designing, implementing, testing, documenting, and deploying DXLab applications over the last ~20 years has been a joy; there has not been one nanosecond of "frustrated hair-pulling".

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  2. N2IW

N2IW Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks David for all the info regarding DX Lab! I believe DX Lab is a very capable suit of apps, but the problem (of me) is it is not the easiest app to learn to use. It would be wonderful if there were some good introduction/guide videos, so new users like me can grab the most important concepts and use cases of the app quickly, then learn others from documentation later on.

By the way, I couldn't find video link in "Video Introduction to DXLab" page. And there aren't much very good video for DX Lab on youtube either.

Ming, N2IW

3. AA6YQ

AA6YQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My pleasure, Ming. I suggest that you review Getting Started with DXLab, which begins by introducing you to available resources: reference documentation for each application, step-by-step documentation for frequent usage scenarios, and a set of eight videos by Fred AB1OC; those videos are accessible via the 8 bullets beneath the third screen shot in Fred's Introduction to the DXLab Suite.

You might also find this presentation helpful: DXing with DXLab.

As stated in that presentation, DXLab automates the generation of “paperwork” to make more time for DXing, and provides powerful tools that make your time spent DXing more productive. Learning to use these tools takes time and effort; do not expect to quickly replicate the level of comfort you have with whatever applications you are currently using. It doesn't matter where you begin, or what sequence you choose: start with one application that satisfies an interest or need, and get comfortable with it. Then choose the next application that suits your fancy, and repeat the process. What's important is taking your time and enjoying the process.

I have sent you an invitation to join the DXLab Discussion Group, where all questions are welcome, no matter how many times they may have already been asked and answered, or how obvious the answers might be in the documentation. Hope to see you there!

Dave, AA6YQ

4. K9CPO

K9CPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

For y'all that work with macs, I highly recommend MacLoggerDx. You can check your DX worked, QSL received, modes etc... right within the application. As you can see, I have a ways to go for DXCC.... Screen Shot 2019-11-12 at 3.58.20 PM.png For me it is the best ham software for Mac users.

5. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Would that be double-breasted... pin-striped... tweed, etc? OTOH, maybe DX Lab is a SUITE of apps... :p

N2IW likes this.
  6. N2IW

N2IW Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm indeed a Mac user, and have been using RumLog and RumLogNG for a few years and happy with them. The reason I'm looking for a Windows logging program is, I added a SDRPlay to my TS-590SG as a panadapter. And couldn't find a good SDR program for Mac. I'm using a Parallels Desktop VM to run SDRUno and HDSDR at the moment, and tiered of using VMs. So I'm trying to move all my Ham softwares to Windows.

K9CPO likes this.