ad: SDRKits-1

Contest logging software for DXer?

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by N2IW, Nov 6, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

You could just dump all your logs into DX Keeper, and use the Spot Collector program to alert you of what you need. You could use a different program for logging in real time.

N1EN and K0UO like this.
  2. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep...After DXKeeper, SpotCollector would be the next module to consider. DXClusters will never look the same after SpotCollector.;)

It would be great to integrate SpotCollector with N1MM+. If anybody has done it, please let me know.

3. N2IW

N2IW Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly what I'm doing! I guess a separate spotting software like Spot Collector (DX lab) or VE7CC even cluster window of Log4OM could be a way to do it. The only issue is, they only work for spots, if I find a station myself, it won't tell me if I need it or not. I guess that's partially due to my country total is only 151 worked, and I'm not familia with all the countries and prefixes yet.

At the moment I'll just stick with "work as many multipliers as I can" strategy with N1MM+. I'm planning for CQWW CW as well. I worked 51 countries in CQWW SSB last month with 100W and a 10-40m EFHW literally in a tree, and one of them is ATNO! I'll try to make my EFHW a slop setup to take advantage of ground reflection, model shows I can get 3-4db more gain than vertical setup.

4. N2IW

N2IW Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks VA3VF and W1VT for suggestions on DX Lab suit, I'll try it also.

5. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

I like DXKeeper and was using there for a while, but it can get very complicated and the screen can get really really busy and full of maybe too much unneeded detail with each new module you add to it. To be honest, I found the following points about DXKeeper annoying: (I eventually became frustrated with it...)

1) I found that I had to be really careful when entering a new call sign or I'd mess it up and have to go back in and make changes. Entering a call sign and checking to see if it's a dupe or that prefix is already in your log is not intuitive and if you don't do it right, you add that call to your log book without having actually made the contact. Then you have to delete it.

2) I had to be careful when importing logs into DXKeeper (for DXCC tracking). If you accidentally import a log twice, it's a real hassle to delete the duplicates.

3) You integrate WinKeyer through WinWarbler. WinWarbler was originally written for PSK31. And it looks like CW is an after-thought? I don't like that.

4) I was never quite sure of how to use the SpotCollector. Somehow or another, it did tell me if it was a needed prefix, but that's about all I was able to figure out about it.

But you can't beat the price! Well, I personally think N1MM+ beats DXKeeper. You just have to try them to get a real feel for them.

I use other logging programs also because of their unique requirements.

I use SKCC's logging program by itself because it's good at keeping track of SKCC numbers and generating reports for their *many* certificates/achievements/awards. I generate at least two logs every month from SKCC.

I also use NAQCC's logging program because it automates the unique report required for their sprints. I generate a new log every month.

So I still haven't found a *single* logging program that does it all. But I have figured out a way to keep track of all my log files (It takes discipline, but I make sure to generate ADIFs for every log), in chronological order, in my computer file plan.

But to tell you the truth, N3FJP made his logging program available free for the Hiram P Maxim 150 year birthday celebration so I downloaded it and used it. It's the boss! I really like his logging program. He hits the nail on the head for having "an intuitive human interface." Very easy to figure out and start using from day 1. However, you have to give him a few bucks if you want to start using it for general logging. If I ever get frustrated with N1MM+, he's next.

6. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

I use DX keeper for seeing whether I need something for a new country.

Enter in the call or just the prefix and hit the "DXCC" tab to bring up all the QSOs with that country.

7. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

I think you can say that about any very comprehensive program. I have the same feeling about Log4OM. I have not contacted their support yet, so this is not a criticism of the program, just a 'personal limitation' at this point.

As for DXLabs, the developer is extremely helpfull and patient. No questions are considered, or treated, as 'stupid'. Asking for additional features is a different story though, one better have a good 'business case'. ;)

If I understood some of the issues you were having, they are just configuration points. Ask Dave for assistance, you won't regret it. You won't get better support than Dave's from a commercial, for profit, business.

No, not a cheerleader for Dave. We have other hamradio differences of opinion, but I keep things segregated.:)

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  8. AA6YQ

AA6YQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That's not correct. A new QSO isn't logged until you click the Capture window's Log button (or strike its keyboard shortcut). If you mistype a callsign, you can easily correct it. If you type in a callsign but don't actually make a QSO with that callsign, simply click the Capture window's Clear button (or strike its keyboard shortcut).

Duplicate QSOs can be identified with a few mouse clicks. Deleting those duplicates requires another mouse click. See Removing Duplicate QSOs.

The first version of WinWarbler supported PSK and RTTY. Support for CW and Phone (voice keyer) were subsequently added, providing a single user interface, one set of keyboard shortcuts, and and one macro facility for all of these modes. What is it that you don't like?

Using DX spots from multiple sources as input, SpotCollector maintains a database containing one entry for each active DX station. It provides multiple "views" of this database that you can filter and sort as you desire. By referencing your award objectives, it can highlight stations with whom a confirmed QSO would advance your award progress.

[​IMG]

You will not "figure out" SpotCollector by clicking buttons. Understanding it so that you can effectively exploit its power requires some effort: start here.

DXLab is explicitly not a contesting application. However, it enables DXers participating in contests in search of "new ones" to properly record contest exchanges and submit Cabrillo files after the contest. It does not provide realtime scoring.

There is an N1MM-DXKeeper gateway application that immediately conveys a QSO logged in N1MM to DXKeeper, instantly updating SpotCollector's display of what's "needed". N1MM and DXLab are complementary applications.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  9. AA6YQ

AA6YQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Over the past ~20 years, almost all of the thousands of enhancements to the 8 applications in the DXLab Suite have come from users, typically emerging from collaborative interactions on the DXLab Discussion Group. For me, this direct ongoing engagement with users is what makes the experience so rewarding.

Since DXLab applications are free, justifying a proposed enhancement with "a good business case" is a misnomer. The issue is opportunity cost - a critical factor that every effective product manager understands. All software development organizations have finite development resources. If you direct those development resources to design/implement/document/test/deploy new feature F, doing so will delay one or more other features that those resources could have delivered to provide new value to the user community; that delay of new value from alternative new features is the opportunity cost of F. Thus I assess every proposed new capability by assessing the value it would deliver, and the fraction of the DXLab user community likely to benefit from this value. Idiosyncratic requests that cut one mouse click from one user's unique workflow are politely declined. Suggestions that would benefit only a small fraction of the user community or require significant development effort are added to publicly-visible enhancement logs for consideration when their benefit/cost ratio becomes the highest available; such requests are sometimes satisfied when a higher-valued enhancement involving the same code is being implemented. Occasionally, someone suggests an valuable enhancement that can be designed/implemented/documented/tested in a couple of hours and immediately made available in a public release; I love it when this happens!

10. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

<sarcasm> ya, ya, ya, really simple. I don't know why I quit using DXKeeper. </sarcasm>
    Look, as a degreed software engineer who's never actually worked in the field of software development for a group of angry, demanding customers, I can say I've never worked in the field because I don't like what I see in the software writing/development field. I understand what you're doing and I appreciate what you're doing, but this nice piece of software which probably has thousands and thousands of hours of frustrated hair-pulling coding in it is just not for me. I'm not like most people. And I apologize for somehow or another making you go through the time and effort to put together the above reply in an effort to try to enlighten me. Thank you. Carry on.