Contest logging software for DXer?

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by N2IW, Nov 6, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N2IW

N2IW Ham Member QRZ Page

I confess that I work contests only to do my DX hunting. So my question is, is there a logging software that can do contest logging, as well as remind me if a country is what I needed or not? N1MM+ is a wonderful software for contesting, but it won't tell me which country/band country is what I need for my DXCC hunting (maybe it could?). I'd submit my log to help log checking, so my regular logging software seems not suitable for that either. Any suggestions?

Ming, N2IW

2. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

Not as contest centric as N1MM+, but give DX Keeper or Log4OM a try.

3. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/
    A suite of programs for the DXer. You can set up a program that will compare DX spots against your log and alert you if you need it for DXCC.,

4. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

Call signs show up in red in N1MM in the band map if you don't have that country in your log on that band. (this, of course, relies on being connected to the cluster.)

K0UO likes this.
  5. K0UO

K0UO Subscriber QRZ Page

N1MM follow the instructions from the above poster and you'll I have it.
    And you might become a contester while you're chasing DX!!!! learn how to use N1NN, it's the oldest and most used by all the big guns and a bunch of us little guns DXer/ contesters.

6. KE4YOG

KE4YOG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I contest for the contest but also for new DX. N1MM does the trick.

K0UO likes this.
  7. N2IW

N2IW Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm actually getting myself familia with Log4OM at the moment.

I tried several times to use DX Lab, but always end up couldn't get use to it. I'm giving another try at the moment.

8. N2IW

N2IW Ham Member QRZ Page

I know it does that, but it seems it's only for the current contest, I want it to know my previous worked countries also.

I do use N1MM for contest logging, since I couldn't tell what country I needed, I just work as many multipliers as possible.

K0UO likes this.
  9. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

Ah! Yes... Ok, well, I think I understand what you're looking for now. I, too, have been struggling with trying to figure out a new logging strategy. (Just changed it drastically a couple months ago (when I changed my call sign) in an effort to simplify my logging efforts.)

I use the default log (general logging) in N1MM for my day-to-day DXing. And I create a new log for each specific contest. The problem is... it only looks at one logbook at a time. To get around this, I export all my logs into ADIF's and then import them into CQRLog for "the big picture." CQRLog creates nice HTML formatted reports for WAS, DXCC, etc. But that's not in "real time."

What you (and I) are looking for is a logging program that looks at all logs (whether currently active or not) and displays real-time countries/bands for all logs in real-time.

I'll be monitoring this thread to see if someone knows of a logging program that does this.

The CQ WW Contest is coming up in a couple weeks: CW: November 23 - 24, 2019. I was planning to create a new log for it and just go into Obsessive Compulsive Behavior mode for it and log as many as I can. Then afterwards, import that log into CQRLog (along with all my other logs) and then see where I stand for my latest new DXCC effort (currently at 59 since 16 Aug 2019.)

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  10. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

Install the Launcher module only first, and then from within Launcher, install the DXKeeper module. Do not bother with the other modules right now, get familiar with DXKeeper, add the others later, if they look interesting to you.

K2CD and K0UO like this.