Contest logging and typing skills

Discussion in 'Logbooks & Logging Programs' started by K7MH, Oct 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K7MH

K7MH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

With the logging programs we have for contesting and the necessity to use them rather than logging on paper like we used to, I am wondering how the typing issue has affected your speed in contesting.
    I cannot type other than hunt and peck myself. Although I have not as yet had a serious interest in contesting, I would like to get back into it as I was in the 80's. Back then it was just loggin on paper with dupe sheets etc. Now with the logging programs (I use N3FJP software), It seems that being able to type correctly (as opposed to hunt and peck typing) would be a big benefit. Do some of you guys who contest fairly regularly feel at a disadvantage because you cannot type well or have you gotten familiar enough with the software that it doesn't really matter that much? Is it more a problem logging while on phone than CW as I think it might be?

2. KB9IOU

KB9IOU Ham Member QRZ Page

I can type faster than I can write, so I love to use the computer based logging programs. I use one for my regular log, and I have another one that I use for field day only.

3. WA2ZDY

WA2ZDY Guest

Incorrect entries will cost you points, so yes, accuracy is critical.

4. NR4AW

NR4AW Ham Member QRZ Page

Never operated a SSB contest with a computer log, but on CW I write it down and then move it to the computer.  Although I can type fer reel.  Courtesy of a class i took in the 8th grade.
    (Post #100[​IMG])

Edited for a typo! [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.