ad: w5yi

Contest Discussion: What's your setup?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WF4W, Nov 10, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
  1. WF4W

WF4W XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Let's see how a contest discussion goes...

Just curious, what is your "contest" setup?

I'm a casual contester - i usually set a goal for number of contacts, which is usually 100, and submit my log as a checklog.

Here's my setup:
    • IC-7300
    • ALS-600
    • 6btv vert/ 350' EFLW
    • Vibroplex square racer deluxe
    • Heil Pro7 Headset
    • N1mm Logger
    So far my best contest results to date are 4th in my class (SO, HP, CW) in Georgia QSO Party and a score of 60,500 in the ARRL CW SS last weekend.

What are you using?

KK5JY likes this.
  2. K2CD

K2CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Once a year I try to be active for the PA QSO Party. Pike County is semi-rare. Just run whatever the current rig is barefoot to a G5RV on the low bands, and a Mosley TA33M on the higher bands. Best effort yielded 1,041 QSOs.

73/DX,
    Mike, K2CD

WF4W likes this.
  3. W4IOA

W4IOA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Last contest at my old home I used:
    IC 7410
    A3S w/roof tower
    100w
    N3FJP logging
    Headphones

Usually 2 hour max and I enjoy search and pounce. I was a member of WVDX club which is a contest club. In my only attempt to operate from home for field day as a station, I was the top station in my class in the region.

WF4W likes this.
  4. N2RJ

N2RJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

FlexRadio 6700 + SmartSDR 2.0
    Alpha 91B
    SteppIR MIR 4 el (3 on 40/30)
    HyGain TH6DX facing south
    2 vertical phased array to Europe for 80
    Inverted L for 160m
    Beverages in every important direction
    N1MM+

5. WF4W

I was jsut talking today about the GA QSO Party - I'd like to go mobile/portable in a more rare county.

K2CD likes this.
  6. WF4W

ah, so you've got a REAL contesting setup :)

7. KB1CKT

KB1CKT Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't run contests very often, but I just use what I have: ground mounted 6BTV, and for 80m a 135' dipole at 30'. When I had my FT-840 I would run 100W but keep my TT dialed down to 50W usually (unless if it is a QRP contest). I do S&P almost exclusively, being antenna limited. I log to paper first (scratch paper while making the contact), and transfer to my paper log & electronic log later.

I try to make a goal at the start of a contest; 10 or 20 contacts for a sprint, or maybe 100 if it's Field Day. For the NAQCC sprints I'll try to operate for the full 2 hours but other contests it'll be an hour max before I go off and do stuff around the house, and then come back for another hour.

K9ASE likes this.
  8. K2CD

K2CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That's a great idea and could be a lot of fun. If it wasn't for mobiles and rovers some of the counties in PA would have no activity at all. It's probably similar in Georgia. Never did that on HF, but I used to drive up to High Point, NJ or Point Peter in Port Jervis, NY, or an unnamed spot here in Pike, so I could get on the air during VHF/UHF contests. My home location is in a really poor spot for VHF. You should give it a try.

9. AA8TA

AA8TA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I’m a tiny peanut station. Kenwood TS-590SG and GAP Titan vertical. I have to turn the power down because it transmits much better than it hears. The low take–off angle can be a problem, too. Typically only can get between 200 to 300 Qs in a contest.

Our club has a station with a big horizontal loop. I have TS-590S that I sometimes take up there, if I the scheduling allows. There is a night-and-day difference between the loop and my vertical.

Still trying to build my skill. I do only CW contests so my score can take a big hit in QSO parties where mixed ops get a lot of mults.

I’m only in competition with myself so I don’t worry too much about sitting near the bottom of contest scores. I figure I have some value as some big gun scores would be slightly lower without my contact.

10. KB3LIX

KB3LIX Ham Member QRZ Page

Nothing fancy here:

Yaesu FT-897D
    Hustler 4BTV
    130' homemade doublet
    N1MM

I do alright in contests.
    Not great, but OK.