Contest discussion: Sweepstakes!

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by AA8TA, Nov 14, 2017 at 10:12 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
  1. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

It comes from the format of their radiogram: http://www.ncarrl.org/nets/mes_form.html

The meaning of the fields is somewhat different in the contest, but the contest "emulates" the exchange of the overhead fields from such a message.

Somewhere there is an ARRL article that tells the tale, but I can't seem to coax a link out of Google at the moment.

2. AF7XI

AF7XI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

All I know is propagation is going to be amazing this weekend!

3. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

AA8TA, WA7PRC, W7UUU and 1 other person like this.
  4. WU8Y

WU8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

(chest-thumping)I operate 100% digital so I won't be on any Sweepstakes.(/chest-thumping)

K1OIK and KE5OFJ like this.
  5. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

You'd be surprised how well you can do with a little effort. Buddy of mine and I did Sweeps SSB last year from my home - one radio, one op at a time (true multi single). Wound up #12 in the USA. I was quite pleased with that. Shooting for top 10 this year.

AF7XI and W7UUU like this.
  6. WF4W

WF4W XML Subscriber QRZ Page

if the past 24 hours is any indication of this weekends propagation, then yes, we are in for a great weekend! In the past 24 hours i've worked J5T on multibands & modes, 9U4M, 5K0T, 3xy3d, v51ww, and VPThailand (HS0) , Micronesia (V63). 5t2ai, VP8, VP2, J68 3B8... of course, DX is no indicator of stateside success so I may have to make ht vertical secondary this weekend and use the Longwire. ...

7. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

8. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

IMO, the SS exchange requires real operating skill, because it's so long and unpredictable.

SS began in 1930. FD a few years later. It had to be that way, because US hams were not allowed to operate portable until the early 1930s.

The way it worked in the early days was that the station and operator licenses were completely separate - you could get an operator license and no station license! Station licenses were only issued to specified fixed locations. In the early 1930s, mobile and portable station licenses were issued for a time (W7UUU might get the mobile license W7ZUUU - I am not making this up).

When US amateur radio was shut down after Pearl Harbor, FCC did it by suspending all amateur station licenses. You could still get an operator license - FCC continued to hold test sessions and issue operator licenses - but with no amateur station licenses, you couldn't get on the air.

73 de Jim, N2EY

N2SR, WU8Y and W7UUU like this.
  9. W3MMM

W3MMM Ham Member QRZ Page

You know, it seems that maybe it would be a good addition to the SS CW weekend to add in "digital" modes, to include RTTY.

I'd work it like this:
    There would still be the CW only scores, as they stand today...all the same rules apply if you go CW-only.

Digital modes could be worked the same weekend. If you do digital only, then the same rules apply as with CW.

If you decide to go BOTH modes, the only change in the rules would be that you could work another station twice, once in both modes.

So why do this?
    - CW is NOT dying, but the CW SS entrants have been pretty steady over the last few years, with no growth.
    - I've heard grumblings that Sunday is slow. This provides a chance to either switch between modes through the contest, OR, maybe enter the contest twice - Saturday on CW, Sunday on digital.
    - This might be a way to get digital ops over to CW. Their quest for a higher score may compel them to go "multi-mode" and begin working CW contacts. In effect, it is an effort to bring newer ops 'right next to' the CW contest and try to get some of it to rub off.

The downside? For CW-only ops, maybe Sunday is made worse. Maybe.

I'm NOT saying SS is broken or needs fixing. I'm just suggesting that such an enhancement might be interesting.

WU8Y likes this.
  10. WU8Y

WU8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Intriguing idea. The downside of running them simultaneously, though, is that the CW/digi segments could get awfully crowded, especially if people use wide-band digital modes instead of narrower ones like PSK31 and RTTY.

Can you imagine someone trying to do Sweepstakes with FT8? :D