Contest discussion: Sweepstakes!

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by AA8TA, Nov 14, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
  1. AA8TA

AA8TA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Since the "Discussion Forums: Share your views with others" block does not have a Contests forum (HINT, HINT), I guess I'll have to start a discussion of Sweepstakes here.

The SSB version is this weekend. Ironically, I will not participate since I'm CW-only. But, Sweepstakes is probably the most interesting contest out there. One of the longest exchanges, no signal report (who cares anyway), and it's interesting to hear the check - the year that the operator (or club) was licensed.

I was pretty disappointed with my CW performance - only 220 or 230 Qs, 76 sections, but it is still an addicting event.

So, what are your strategies? What kind of improvements have you made to maximize your success? Are you getting better year over year?

One final side note: an ARRL Quickstats poll showed only 8% of respondents planned to operate Sweepstakes/CW and 16% planned to operate the phone version. Far from a scientific poll, though.

N2EY likes this.
  2. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

I had plans to run most of the weekend, but, we’re supposed to be going to a performance of the play Little Miss Field Day is working on Saturday. Then Sunday, we’re not only picking her up from the play to bring her home for T day, but giving her roommate a ride to the airport.

I will do what I can when I can. Plan to spend some time on 10 & 15, I have some holes on both bands to fill to complete 5BWAS.

3. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Same here. SSB = yuck.

Run until I am about ready to fall asleep from lack of contacts, then S&P until I make a couple of sweeps through the current band, then back to running.

I was also in the low 200's. But at that point, I had had enough "radio" for one weekend.

That's interesting. Maybe it's time for the League to add Sweepstakes RTTY?

4. KK5JY

As long as we are talking about Sweepstakes, I would be very interested in seeing the 2017 version of this from a major multi-multi station:

http://lists.contesting.com/archives/html/cq-contest/2014-11/msg00009.html

If any of you run both SSB and CW, and if you are one of those groups who generates serial numbers that are solidly in the 4-digit numbers, it would be cool to see how the distribution fell out in your logs.

I would even be glad to do the number-crunching if a club would be willing to share their Cabrillo with me.

AA8TA likes this.
  5. WF4W

WF4W XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've never done sweepstakes as I am new to contesting. I worked CW and did OK for the time I was able to spend on it. 398 QSOs and 76 sections. I spent 30% of my time (2.25 hours) S&P which I think was too much... I could have achieved the same score with another 100 contacts and 20 less multipliers.

I am going to try and work at least 4 - 6 hours in the SSB sweepstakes. My in-laws will be in town so it will all be after they all go to bed.

I plan to try and run a freq. The majority of the time and then spend 15 mins each hour hunting sections. I went out and bought a headset/microphone Combo and foot pedal. My wife makes fun of it :)

My goal is 300 QSOs

AA8TA likes this.
  6. N7ZAL

N7ZAL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Never did it and never understood it. :(

K1OIK likes this.
  7. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Being in the middle of a major house move so didn't do the CW nor likely be doing the SSB sweeps. I've always had some disdain for the ARRL Sweeps - the exchange is a bit wonky IMO. But I still enjoy working it both modes. Just not this year :(

Don't know for sure, but I believe it's the oldest ARRL radio contest - predates Field Day I do believe (which, of course, is not a contest :rolleyes:)

Oh, and for Burt? you do NOT have to be a "contest liar" with a 59(9) exchange - there is no signal report required or part of the exchange in ARRL Sweeps :)

Dave
    W7UUU

N2EY and K1OIK like this.
  8. N7ZAL

N7ZAL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Without looking it up, I know it was popular back in the 1950s (SS).

9. KK5JY

The details behind the exchange are interesting. The format is arguably obsolete, but at least there is a story behind it.

10. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Do tell - I don't know it, after all these years

Dave
    W7UUU