Contest Codes???

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by KO4HFX, Sep 12, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KO4HFX

KO4HFX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello everyone,

Old guy and relative new ham. I have listening all weekend to European stations involved in a contest. After exchanging signal information they exchange a three digit code. For the life of me I cannot figure out what the code is. On one occasion, I exchanged CQ codes after someone asked for it over the air. I looked it up and I believe my code is 05 ( I live in central Virginia). Can someone explain what code they are exchanging? I could have made a bunch of contacts as the stations were clear with strong signals.

Thanks,

Jerry

2. KN4QNA

KN4QNA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

3. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, look up the exchange format for the particular contest.

4. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

This weekend's contest was Worked All Europe (WAE) the number that they were exchanging was the QSO number. The first station you worked would NR 001, then 002, then 003. They also exchange lists of previous QSO's. When they ask for QTC's
    (QTC = message traffic) a list of then contacts or so is exchanged. They won't ask for QTC until your contact count is above ten, for obvious reasons. The stations doing QTC's get more points for passing the traffic, so those requests usually come from the more serious participants.

The above only applies to the WAE contest. Full rules for all / most contests can be found at the URL mentioned by @KN4QNA .

Have fun!

K8BZ likes this.
  5. KO4HFX

KO4HFX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks. That makes sense for the most part. Going to do a little research on QTC's. Little foggy on that point. Appreciate the guidance.

6. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Trouble is that there are so many contests running these days and each has its own peculiar rules. Back in the early summer, one weekend, there were a couple of HF telephony contests running at the same time - one of which was only open to stations from a specific country. In most cases, the operators were calling CQ without identifying which contest they were taking part in - I got fed up with getting an irate answer to my signal report indicating that I was not eligible to take part in their particular contest and would I please go away and leave them to score points!

Martin (G8FXC)

7. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

There are Phone, CW and RTTT versions of the WAE Contest. In the Phone and CW versions, non-European stations only contact European stations (hence the Worked All Europe contest name).

In the WAE contests a non-Europe station can send the time, callsign and serial number received on 10 previous contacts with European stations for additional points in the contest This makes this contest unique, and lots of fun once you get the hang of it. A good logging program is essential if you intend to operate in this contest and send QTCs. N1MM+ is the program I use, and it takes care of all the additional record keeping this program requires.

KS2G likes this.