"Contact"

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KW4GT, Aug 9, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K3QNTad-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
  1. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nah. She's made of of the "right" stuff. :)

2. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

So, if what you are saying is true, and considering what the CB sounds like nowadays, it should follow that in 30 years the ham bands will be dead and at that point all the "good" operators can come back out to play? Right?

I love the ghetto remark. Classic caste-ism.

It's not the frequency as much as the person utilizing it. 75 meters has been a cesspool of BS long before the "CB'ers" took over, so how does that fit in with your utopian view? How does that fit in with the geriatric theatrics heard daily over the air. More importantly, how does this make us look on the world stage, since at (many) times this is an international stage. By your evaluation then, does it follow that the hams in the other ITU zones will eventually shun us as a collective case of ingrates, to be avoided at all costs?

:rolleyes: o_O

WA8FOZ, W4IOA, KD0PEZ and 1 other person like this.
  3. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Man, I guess that I need to spend more time on 80 meter phone to hear all this "bad" stuff?

On second thought, never mind. I rarely venture above 3800 KHz, and usually not much above 3700 KHz. It's better that way. I just wish we had a bit more room for RTTY above 3600 KHz. Uncle Sam really missed the boat on that one. Not enough phone activity between 3600 - 3700 KHz to justify taking the entire 100 KHz away.

N4NYK likes this.
  4. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I seems to me that amateur radio is devolving into an expensive form of CB. This has been happening since the 1980's but it happened slowly so most hams don't really notice. Move away from you neighborhood in the suburbs and come back 20 years later, it will look very different but to those who never left it hardly seems changed.

Call me old, call me cranky, call me anything you like, I will not acknowledge the influx of CBisms and bad operating habits on the bands. I will continue to operate in a courteous and thoughtful way and refuse to work the lids and the Techs with vanity calls who show up on 40 meter phone. Part 97.

5. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

We could call you the new incarnation of W2OY.

WA8FOZ, KA4DPO and NY7Q like this.
  6. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

There was a large influx of CB types into ham radio right after the code requirement was dropped. But that was years ago, and interest in the CB hobby is dead, except for a few die-hards who will probably stay on 11m for ever, so the highly conspicuous damage this did to ham radio is now history. Very few newcomers to ham radio these days come freshly off CB.

KA4DPO, WA8FOZ and W4IOA like this.
  7. W4IOA

W4IOA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think people just imitate movies and tv.

8. WA8FOZ

WA8FOZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Bingo! A winnah!

KA4DPO likes this.
  9. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I was informed of using "contact" to break into a lull of an ongoing QSO by an extra working at an amateur radio store (who shall not be named) who should have known better. I had been off the air for a number of years and assumed this guy knew what he was talking about. So I attempted it and immediately was identified as a "New ham". Haven't tried that MO since.

10. KK4YWN

KK4YWN Ham Member QRZ Page

Or on vhf ssb. Also just a data point.

WU8Y likes this.