"Contact"

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KW4GT, Aug 9, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Subscribe
  1. KK4ZYM

KK4ZYM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

2. WB6MMJ

WB6MMJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I think you should listen more to what they are saying on the air.
    A lot of it is straight out of the CB Band.
    As the code disappeared and the tests have become much easier, we have been getting what was left on the CB band after the big CB boom was over.
    I have tried helping some of these guys in a nice polite way but they don`t want anyone helping them because they were on CB for many years and know everything there is to know about radio. At least in their mind.
    You can be as sick and tired as you want. But it`s no nonsense when it comes to why all the CB jargon and bad operating habits are all over the Amateur bands.
    Break has been replaced by contact. How am I hitting you has replaced, can I get a signal report. I guess I need to buy a hit meter. Waving a hand at ya, has replaced saying hi. Thanks for the flowers, has replaced thank you for the good report.
    I won`t even go into all the cursing and the descriptive sex I`m hearing on the bands.
    Need I say more?
    I heard a guy saying 10-4 at the beginning of each transmission the other day.
    The person he was talking to mentioned to him that we don`t use those terms here on the Ham bands.
    He said he just got his license and had been on CB for many years.
    He stopped saying 10-4 for about 4 transmissions and then started saying it again at the beginning of each transmission.
    The person the new guy was talking to didn`t say anything after that about him saying 10-4.
    This was on 75 meters, by the way.
    Point being, more and more of this is happening as time goes on.
    I predicted this was going to happen back in the 1970`s.
    I saw how the F.C.C. was deregulating Amateur Radio and had a good idea why they were doing it.
    The F.C.C. wants out of Amateur Radio, just like they wanted out of CB Radio.
    The F.C.C. is taking the same steps with Amateur Radio as they did with CB Radio.
    Those steps are deregulate it so they don`t have to manage it as much and take very few, if any, enforcement actions.
    If you know any history of both services you will remember the F.C.C. driving around looking for problems, many years ago.
    You can`t even get the F.C.C. to act on a complaint now.
    The Tiger Teams they said were coming were canceled.
    Their enforcement is almost nothing now.
    There is one jammer who`s case has been open for 12 years with no end in sight.
    The F.C.C. has let us down and because of deregulation the CB`ers and others who have no true interest in radio are now on the bands.
    The F.C.C. is to blame but what`s happening to the bands is a fact. They are full of CB`ers.
    Do yourself a favor and look up "The Broken Windows Theory" on the internet.
    You will see what is happening to Amateur radio by reading that.
    It already happened to CB Radio.
    By the way, I`ve always looked a CB as the Ghetto of radio. That fits right in with this theory.

KA4DPO, WG7X, WA7BZI and 1 other person like this.
  3. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I did not read the whole thread, so if this is a DUPE give me a break.
    I believe the purpose of saying "contact" is to get into an ongoing conversation with single word.

Partial reason is to interrupt FM repeater contact when people tailgate or are long winded.
    "Alligators" seems to be extinct.

Also to overcame capture effect of strong FM signals with single word.

From the operating perspective , which nobody ever teaches , "contact" was / is polite request for entry to conversation.
    "Break" on the other hand carries or at lest it used to carry an urgent request for frequency, not necessary to carry on in current contact.

Irregardless of origin of these , it is NOT funny to yell "break, break, break" to declare an emergency request for frequency.

Of course for those who cannot read I'll not post what to say in real emergency,(Google it) but I will say when you hear it is not an invite to transmit ANYTHING on frequency or elsewhere !

Listen and record as best as you can then notify proper authority.

73 Shirley

4. WB6MMJ

WB6MMJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Contact use to be used on nets and QSO`s to "contact a station" and either say something to the station your were trying to contact or move that station to another frequency.
    If you wanted to join the net or QSO you would either come in with your call or say break.

AA7EJ and WA7BZI like this.
  5. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The movie, Contact, starring Matthew McConaughey and Jodie Foster, was most excellent! :)

In the movie, a young Ellie Arroway said, "I'm gonna need a bigger antenna!"

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  6. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

:)

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've had that, before, usually after eating spicy Mexican food.

8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Jodie is one of my all-time faves.

Not only a great actress, but just a doll.

30 years ago I could have switched her over to our team.:p

9. KD0PEZ

KD0PEZ Ham Member QRZ Page

You can rag on CBers all you want. It doesn't change the fact that radio is still radio, be it CB, ham, murs, frs, gmrs or whatever. Yes it's the operator.

And sadly, some of the users on 75 meters, that *should* know better (and don't) and that have been licensed for many years, make CBers look like a bunch of saints.

I've witnessed the same on 20 meters. And not just on 14.313 or 14.275.

WU8Y likes this.
  10. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

The Dodgers? Or the Angels?

She's a great actress. I didn't know she played baseball at the professional level as well...

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

WZ7U and W4IOA like this.