ad: Versatenna-1

"Contact"

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KW4GT, Aug 9, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
  1. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

You just might be a phony operator if...

You say you are running 400 watts with your Valiant or DX-100

You think a Johnson Kilowatt Matchbox is a "2.4 KW Tuner"

You refer to a DX 60 or a Yeasu FT 101-E as a "Boat Anchor"

You refer to a rig like the Yaesu FT-901, Kenwood TS-820 or Drake TR-7 as "vintage" or "antique".

You refer to one's name as the "first personal" or just "personal".

You end a QSO with "Seventy-Thirds" or just "Threes".

You try to break into an ongoing QSO by shouting "Contact".

You use "QRZ?" in place of "CQ."

You pronounce QRZ.com as "cue are ZEE dot com"

You finish an AM transmission in a QSO that is NOT operating fast break-in, and just drop the carrier with no prior warning like a callsign or saying "over", "back to you", "go ahead", etc., leaving the other operator(s) wondering if you lost power or your rig crapped out.

You "laugh" on phone by saying "High High" or worse still, "Aitch Eye".

You tell someone with a strapping signal he is "wall to wall, treetop tall".

You refer to switching over to AM as "Going to the AM side".

You "ratchet-jaw" instead of ragchew.

You refer to a microphone with a built in preamp as a "Power Mic"

You try to whistle up your RF power level when running FM.

You insert "there" between every two or three words in your conversation.

You refer to the phone bands as the "SSB bands".

You refer to your home station as a 'base station'.

You call your transmitter or transceiver a "radio" instead of a "rig".

You believe the reflected power returns back to your final and makes the tubes run red.

You refer to standing wave ratio as "SWRs" [plural]

You use the word "dot" in decimal fractions instead of "point".

You call the UHF female jack on the back of your rig the "antenna port".

You report renewed sunspot activity when it is only sporadic E.

Your idea of calling CQ is to just say your call, then pause.

You test by uttering "audio, audio, aaaaaaudio".

You operate SSB using VOX, and make "aaaah" sounds between words to prevent the rig from dropping out of transmit mode.

You transmit on AM using VOX.

You refer to every RF power amplifier as a "linear" regardless of whether it's Class A, B, or C.

You pronounce linear "LEEN-YAR"

You use coax for your HF antenna feedline because you heard that open-wire line radiates.

Your open-wire line is that Crappy Brown Stuff, aka 'window line'.

You think the ideal horizontal antenna is the G5RV, and the ideal 160m vertical is 43 ft. tall.

You are a ham but you like like HOAs.

N3AB, W4IOA and WZ7U like this.
  2. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

^^ Funny Chit There ^^

3. W4IOA

W4IOA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Guess I'm a phony, I don't find my hoa oppressive.
    I will say two pet peeves of mine is whistling into the mic and saying hihi on fone

WZ7U likes this.
  4. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Whistling and the drawn out Auuddddddddiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiioooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo are my "favorites" too

W4IOA likes this.
  5. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeahbut...nothing wrong with window line. Not as good as real ladder line, sure, but works plenty well enough in most cases and is cheap and readily available. (The only one of those that got me, though. :D )

6. WB6MMJ

WB6MMJ Ham Member QRZ Page

What we are seeing is the influx of CB`ers into the Ham Bands.
    Along with that, they are bringing their lingo and bad habits.
    Not all of them are doing this but a huge amount are.
    Most don`t want to be mentored. I know, I`ve tried.
    They have no idea what Amateur Radio has been about. It`s history and different ways of operating.
    They just treat Amateur Radio like they did when they were on CB.
    Since the deregulation of Amateur Radio, we have been getting a lot of CB`ers on our bands and a lot of them still operate on CB even though they have their Amateur license.
    Lately, we have been getting what I call the sludge on the bottom of CB Radio flowing into Amateur Radio.
    It is so easy to get a license, now, that anyone can get one.
    What we once knew as Amateur Radio is now the new CB Radio and if you`ve noticed, the A.R.R.L. and others, like your local Ham pages, don`t talk about what`s going on on our bands.
    That`s because they see $$$ signs.
    Welcome to the new CB Radio, guys and gals.

WG7X, KY5U and N3AB like this.
  7. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

NO we are NOT.

What we are seeing in an influx of new hams who have not been as extensively mentored by their peers and experienced hams, as used to be the case in the past.

They have developed what many of us consider "bad" habits because, pure and simple, they haven't been shown that these are bad habits.

The days of heading over to Elmer's shack to observe, learn, and get experience are gone.

So as a result, those who have learned certain techniques and procedures in other services (military, public safety, etc.), ones that Amateurs do not or have not considered "correct", get carried over.

And unfortunately, many of these new hams resent being told that they're doing it "wrong", because in their minds, they aren't. They don't know any better.

So drop this nonsense about blaming this all on the "influx of CB'ers". We have been getting people whose first experiences were on 27 MHz since the 1970's. It is not anything new, and I for one am sick and tired of seeing that old stereotype being used to berate the new guys. It is a display of intolerance. Enough.

WA8FOZ, KD0PEZ, WZ7U and 2 others like this.
  8. W4IOA

W4IOA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

CB has been dead for decades, those who were problematic in CB never bothered to get licensed as a ham so it's a strawman argument. But it makes it easier because if they faced the true facts it would destroy their story. Truth is the problem lies with poor elmering and clubs that bring in techs and let them flounder afterwards.

WU8Y, WA8FOZ, WD4IGX and 4 others like this.
  9. N3AB

N3AB Ham Member QRZ Page

"Four on that"

Hi Hi

WZ7U likes this.
  10. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

854x1080.jpeg

KA0KA and WD4IGX like this.