Constructing a 6m ¼ wave Ground Plane Antenna Question

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by N6TDG, Apr 7, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. N6TDG

N6TDG Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello all--working on another project and wondering about material for constructing an antenna as described in the title of the post. I would use 8g wire as it fits nicely in the bulkhead connector and I can solder that proper.

Copper is a bit flimsy for that length, (approximately 54-56 inches) and I am thinking of sourcing some stainless steel wire that would not be as malleable. I can even tap the end with threads and attach a little 8g ball for a nice little "hat".

So my question is: would something like 8g 316L steel wire be an adequate conductor over other choices?

Regards and thanks for the suggestions in advance.

Jeffrey
    N6TDG

PS. I have a Rim Lite that fits on the back on alinco monobanders. It then attaches to a RPi Allstar node. My plan is to use that system over 6m. I do something similar with 220mhz. I built that antenna with copper wire as it was only about 12 inches long. Its just something to do and something to monitor while around the property or in town. I already have a couple of VX-5's to have an HT that does 6m in case I need to talk to the machine.

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

SS wire should certainly be strong enough and it's a good enough conductor considering it only needs to be 54" long.

Don't forget the radials!

3. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

You could always twist copper wire with a vise and a drill to stiffen it in about 5 seconds...;)

4. N6TDG

Most definitely! The radials are around that 56 inch length, so they are accounted for. The SS wire at 8g should be strong enough over copper. In fact I could even have the radials at 12-14 gauge.

All this as I am curious how the 6m will cover my intended area. I have done the same thing with 220, but since the 220 antenna was probably not high enough at my qth, coverage was very sporadic around town...although I could hit the 220 condor connection repeater on Mt. Vaca some 80 miles away as the crow flies.

It would also be nice to use the 6m alinco to hit some spread out repeaters in Grass Valley, etc.

Evidently 6m is problematic for setting up repeaters. Can anyone elucidate on that?

5. N6TDG

Now that is an interesting idea. Depending upon cost--that could be a way to go. Thanks.

AK5B likes this.
  6. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

get a 6 foot length of 1/4" aluminum dowel from the hardware store, trim to 54".

W0GSQ likes this.
  7. 4X1SO

4X1SO Ham Member QRZ Page

Old stainless steel CB whip cut to 54".

KJ4RT likes this.
  8. N6TDG

Talked to our All Metals Supply here in town.

3/16 round 12 ft random 304SS runs $17.25 a length

I need 4 radials and one center pole so that means three lengths. $51.75+T/L

I will of course take down my bulkhead connector to make certain it will work.

As for getting aluminum dowel. I will check that out at home depot to see what that cost is.

9. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

25 feet 8 gauge bare copper @$0.69/ft +$17.25 + tax.

10. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Aluminum is very easy to machine: trim with hack saw, deburr with a file; cut threads with a die. Good luck struggling with stainless for all that.

Also I think aluminum is slightly more conductive than stainless.