ad: ProAudio-1

Considering two DMR HT's - interested in your experience / opinions

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KD2NOM, Dec 17, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KD2NOM

KD2NOM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello,

I'm looking to upgrade my DMR HT from a Baofeng to one of the following:

Alinco DJ-MD5TGP VHF/UHF Dualband DMR Handheld or AnyTone AT-D878UV GPS

Both appear to suit my needs (large screen, 4000 channel memory, expanded talkgroup numbers, low power settings, under $225). The Alinco is on sale at DX Engineering (https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/alo-dj-md5tgp) and the AnyTone has a bundled price with accessories on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/AnyTone-AT-D...83440&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=anytone+dmr&psc=1)

I'm looking for posts from folks with personal experience with either or both radios, and for alternatives if you have an opinion.

Some other criteria I am looking for:

- ease of programming (from PC or right on the device)
    - large, bright display with plenty of information shown (less scrolling)
    - positive support experiences

I plan to use it primarily with my DMR hotspot as there are no local repeaters within range to me.

I look forward to your responses.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  2. W4EAE

W4EAE Subscriber QRZ Page

Since no one has replied yet, I thought I would throw out another option, in addition to sharing what I know about the two radios you mentioned.

Ease of programming is relative. No DMR radio is 'easy' to program. There are simply too many variables for it to ever be intuitive. The differences are going to fall in menu structures. One will not be more simple than the other, but they will be different. I would have a look at the operating manuals of each radio and see with which one you would be more comfortable as to the menu structure.

As to the display, neither have what I would call 'large' displays. The Anytone has a screen that looks very much like the first colour screens on Nokia candybar phones in the early 2000s. The Alinco screen is a better as it looks like the screen on a Motorla flip phone circa 2010. If you are really interested in a large display, then the Yaesu FT2DR has the largest display of any HT I have seen. It isn't DMR, but it does use have Fusion. If, as you say, you intend to use it with a hospot then YSF vs DMR shouldn't be an issue. (I wouldn't buy a hotspot in 2018 that did not do cross-mode.) It may also be that while you have no DMR repeaters in your area, there may be Fusion or Wires-X repeaters around that you could utilise with the Yaesu radio.

From a support perspective, I don't think that factory support for the Anytone is even possible, much less responsive and of good quality. Either the Alinco or the Yaesu should have much better support than the Anytone.

You may already know this, but I think it is also worth mentioning that they Alinco is a good bit smaller than the Anytone. Ultimately, it would be good for you to hold one of each in your hands.

3. AJ6O

AJ6O Ham Member QRZ Page

I am new to DMR so I can only say I really like my Anytone AT-D868uv. I have several cheap Chinese HT, but the Anytone appears to be better built than any of the others I have. Transmitting a digital signal seems to travels farther than a analog signal. I live at the edge of the "Blue ridge" repeater coverage area from my home here in Apple Valley Ca, but I can easily get into it from my home using the normal rubber ducky antenna @ 5 watts.

4. WB2JIX

WB2JIX Ham Member QRZ Page

I will second the Anytone 868. Very well-built, flawless radio, in my opinion.
    Brian

5. K7FLA

K7FLA Ham Member QRZ Page

I am considering either the Alinco DJ-MD5TGP (169.95) or the AnyTone AT-D878UV ($218.99). Has anyone compared the difference between the two, because they both seem to look the same but the Alinco is about $50 cheaper. I don't mind spending the extra few dollars if it is worth it. Any comments?? 73, Mike K7FLA

6. W5PFG

W5PFG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Buy an Anytone 868 then. The Bridgecom Systems website has an excellent comparison of features. Nothing the 878 offers made me want to spend additional dollars.

7. W4EAE

W4EAE Subscriber QRZ Page

Anytone certainly has its fans--and for good reason. It is purely a matter of opinion and personal preference; but owning both, I prefer the Alinco.

Menu structure is definitely a matter of personal preference, so don't take my advice or anyone else's about how easy or difficult a radio is to use, or how logically its menus are laid out.

Again, this is personal preference; but working an event were I need reliable communication, I carry the Alinco because it is small and comfortable in the hand, along with the Ailunce HD1 for its extra power and waterproofness if required. I can't say exactly why, but the Anytone stays at home.

8. K3NXU

K3NXU Ham Member QRZ Page

Attached Files:

W6KKO likes this.