ad: Alphaant-1

Considering joining in on some AM tips needed

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by W9RAC, Oct 17, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

Its just a mode, not a lifestyle...

WA5VGO likes this.
  2. K4KYV

K4KYV Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

The operating style of AM is quite different from that of SSB.

It immediately stands out like a sore thumb when a newcomer to AM attempts to operate a QSO in identical manner as SSB.

W9RAC and WZ5Q like this.
  3. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

WA2CWA got a new vanity callsign: N2DTS.

K4KYV likes this.
  4. N2DTS

Other then the use of vox, I do not hear much difference.
    I hear a lot of break in on AM.

It does not seem to take months of intensive training to operate AM to me, or am I doing it wrong?

5. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Ham Member QRZ Page

As with any social communication, a newcomer does best when they have listened to the conversation underway and can immediately contribute in ways that shows the others they've been paying attention. On AM, where QSOs seem to have greater depth and length, it does stand out poorly when someone breaks in, says one sentence, and drops carrier without any kind of acknowledgment of what's been going on. On other modes and activities, that may not be as jarring as it is on the premium mode and activity of AM.

K5UJ and WZ5Q like this.
  6. K4KYV

K4KYV Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

And if the on-going conversation is about a specific topic that is engaging the interest of all parties in the QSO to some depth, it stands out as rude when a "breaker" jumps in and immediately takes the conversation off-topic to some unrelated drivel, disrupting the thread of the original conversation. If you are merely looking to tell others about your new rig, to talk about the weather or to ask for a signal report, try calling CQ on an adjacent frequency (thus increasing AM presence on the band), or wait for an appropriate pause in the topic at hand to break into an existing QSO.

K5UJ and WZ5Q like this.
  7. W9RAC

W9RAC Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Sounds like I got lots of studying to do so I don't get run off....... immediately. Looking forward to breaking into a new mode and conversations. Am I going to be seeing mostly the same or different propagation with AM and eSSB/SSB? Am I going to be talking more local or ? vs the same with SSB. I have never used AM, sorry for the ignorance. 73 Rich

8. W9RAC

W9RAC Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

So Don throw me a bone here. Do you think I should consider getting a tube rig to do AM or can I use what I have? Maybe I should mess around with some talking into a dummy load? Where to start? 73 Rich

9. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

Joining a QSO is not all that different from joining a conversation at a gathering, and being able to "read the room" is socially important, both on and off the air. You've got more leeway if you're among friends, otherwise it would be prudent to think about how your first impression will be made.

For newcomers, think of this not as a hurdle but rather as an opportunity.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    K4KYV likes this.
  10. N2DTS

I always thought it was just like ssb except with a carrier and another sideband....
    I have been on sideband a few times and I did not do anything different.
    Are there any on line training video's?

No wonder no one will talk with me!