ad: dxeng

Considering joining in on some AM tips needed

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by W9RAC, Oct 17, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

That had to be Ozona Bob!

N7BDY and AG5CK like this.
  2. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

The radio does not matter, people use Elecraft K3's, the icom 7300, and many Kenwoods.

Some operators may make long transmissions, others do not, some do break in, and you can do break in.
    You can also do a one on one qso with another person, call CQ and have a qso.
    One on one qso's can be very nice.
    If you bring up a range of subjects, you may get a long response. Ask a simple question and you may get a short response.
    I have not heard anyone getting bent out of shape about much of anything on AM, most people are very friendly.
    Some poor operators will make a big stink about some signal close by, usually an ssb signal, they like to start fights as they have
    nothing else to do I guess. That is mostly a very small group of people.
    They do not realize ssb can be very close to an AM signal and not be bothered by it.
    Its natural to assume the reverse is true.
    Many (if not most) operators are getting old and DO tend to ramble on...

3. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

KYV:

Nope, not Ozona Bob! It was Ira in Blue Ridge. Ira died some time back.

Whenever someone asked where Blue Ridge was located, Ira wouldn't say "near McKinney" or north of Dallas. Instead, he would say "near Frogknot" (an even smaller tower nearby). Of course, it would be asked "where's Frogknot" and he would reply "It's a hop, skip, and a jump from Bug Tussel (hamlet that barely makes it on a county map)".

Glen, K9STH

AG5CK likes this.
  4. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

I was talking to Ozona Bob late one evening. I had to work the next day, so needed to end the QSO and get some sleep. I waited and waited for him to finish his xmsn, and finally just left the radio room with him still talking, got all my stuff laid out and ready for the next day, took a shower, brushed teeth, etc. When I finally came back into the shack to turn things off, he was still talking. I assumed he had turned it back to me and when I didn't respond, someone else had broken in and he had continued the conversation with them, so I decided to join back in one more time to sign out. The longer I listened, the more I realised he was still directing his comments to me and that he was still on that same transmission he was making to me when I first left! I listened a few minutes longer, and noted some of the things he was saying before he finally turned it back to me. I made a few quick comments on them before telling him I had to go and then signed. He was never aware that I hadn't been there listening to every word of his long transmission the whole time.

Bob had a reputation for being long-winded, but most of the time what he had to say was interesting enough to hold one's attention for the duration.

5. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

Seems kind of rude to me....

6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Listen a lot before transmitting.

Have your thick skin on, And a 12 pack on the side.

Only run your transmitter at 25 % Using a good antenna.

Nothing to it.

Enjoy

K0UO likes this.
  7. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know where you have been but I have only encountered friendly operators.

K0UO likes this.
  8. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

They are friendly.

But your friends will rib you the most. :)

K0UO likes this.
  9. K4RT

K4RT Ham Member QRZ Page

Likewise. Lots of FB, friendly AM operators to talk with, and quite a number are very knowledgeable, technically.

Try AM with your transceiver and see how you like it. I think you might get hooked.

WA3VJB likes this.
  10. W9RAC

W9RAC Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm still in the consideration stage. Might put "toes" in soon. best, Rich