Connections for ARB 704 to Ameritron AL-811 Amplifier & Yaesu FT-847

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by WB7OWF, Jul 2, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WB7OWF

WB7OWF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Im not making sense of the ARB 704 instructions and when I key the mic to tune the amp I get no Xmit LED light and no meter readings on the 704 and amp. I must be missing a cable connection, but cant figure it out. Any ideas are appreciated please!

Harlan WB7OWF

2. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you read the instructions? If so what do you not understand?

3. WB7OWF

Sure, several times. Ive got the multiport cable connected from my radio standby outlet to the ARB 704, and the relay cable connected between the Amp relay input and the ARB 704. I assume that the multiport cable provides power to the ARB 704. Am I missing something? It does not sound like the relay is switching at all... Thanks for responding!

4. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Far as I know the box needs a separate power supply to run it. I’m not certain it’s made to take power from a radio.

W1TRY likes this.
  5. WB7OWF

You are correct! I found the separate instructions for the proper multi-port cable on line and it mentions that a separate power cable to provide 12 volts is required. I used one of mine and, sure enough, it now works. I should have thought of the simple things first, but of course I didn't. What confused me was the box instructions that said if your radio has an available multi-port cable don't power it separately. I guess the particular cable for the FT-847 does not provide power! Again, thank you so much for your advice and response-It is nice to know I can get assistance on these forums!!!! Hope to "meet" you on the air from Seattle sometime down the road.... Harlan

6. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Great Harlan, enjoy. Lou

7. WB7OWF

Wow you have quite the tech qualifications Lou.Now I know who to contact when I need my next amplifier.....

8. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

50 plus years of working with amps, building, repairing, modifying helps. I started ham radio at age 12 and been hooked ever since.

9. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh, BTW Harlan, check out my friend on qrz database W1QH. Lou

10. WB7OWF

Oh my gosh Lou, I don't meet to many other Harlans! That's quite a coincidence. Maybe its more east coast name- I was born in Brooklyn, NY. Got involved with radio when my neighbor allowed me to look at his ham station when I was 12, and got to talk to someone in Russia. That did it for me. Started out SWL, then studied and passed the exam for General when I was 28. Then family, career etc happened and I had little time for it. Im retired now and just set up my station last week in my apartment. Compromises, but I can hear people again and sometimes talk with them. Mostly 40 meters right now. I don't remember the bands being so full of static/noise that is such a high level. Sun cycle I suppose......