ad: NI4L-2

Connecting to Test Server but no audio

Discussion in 'Echolink/IRLP Tech Board' started by NX8Z, Jan 3, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
  1. NX8Z

NX8Z Ham Member QRZ Page

TU for bandwidth for an Echolink question. Trying to get running on a Windows 10 PC, Linksys AC1200 router, Logitech USB mike/earphone adapter. Logitech is selected as recording device and playback device. Port range forwarding setup OK. Firewall/Router test completes satisfactorily. Connects to Test Server and believe creates a valid connection. Can see the "S meter" deflecting as the robot announces the server. However, no audio coming from headphones. Then I can click on transmit and say a few test words. I can hear my own speech over the headphones. Then end transmit and the server connection times out. Then I can see deflections that reflect my own words spoken earlier. But no sound from headphones. Can hear other audio through earphones (YouTube, etc.). Have set just about every parameter I can think of, but no audio. A touch frustrating. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Thanks much. Best and 73! Jim NX8Z

2. AG6EM

AG6EM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A know bug in EchoLink mislabels the audio devices. Try selecting other audio devices until you get sound on the device you want. This is done in Tools/Setup/Audio. In my case I have to select the speakers in my monitor to get EchoLink audio on the Logitech USB headset. If my Icom 7600 is turned on I then have to select it as the audio device to get sound from EchoLink to the Logitech headset. This has been a known bug for some time but the EchoLink folks don't seem to want to fix it.

3. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Not sure if it pertains to Windows 10 or your USB audio device, but when Windows 8 "upgraded" to 8.1, my Signalink crapped out on FLDigi. After troubleshooting and Googling, I found out the USB Audio Codec no longer worked, and I had to select MME Audio Codec.

4. KE5MC

KE5MC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Its been awhile since I used Echolink, but connecting Logitech to the recording device got my attention. I would expect, admit without looking it up, that connection would be a location on your hard drive and/or file name. I'm wondering if the audio from the test server ended up in a file on your computer.
    Mike

P.S. re-reading you post I may not have a clear understanding of connections. I'll let what I wrote stand and see if it helps or not.

5. NX8Z

NX8Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks much for the feedback thus far! Really appreciate the time! My experience with EchoLink reminds me of Clark Griswold's efforts with his Christmas lights. Lights go on for an instant, he shouts for Ellen, and then the lights go off. The program will run briefly and then fails out. Now have expended a day and a half trying to get it running. One suggestion from a previous poster was to route the sound to the display audio. (Thanks for that!) I took the earphones plug from the earphones/boom mike off the Logitech device and plugged it directly into the earphones outlet on the laptop. (Still could not hear any audio without doing that.) The microphone plug from the earphones/boom mike remains plugged into the Logitech device. After this I got excellent audio reception. Clear, plenty of volume. I could hear the test server announcement and could hear the playback of my test words. HOWEVER, the microphone output sent (at least to the test server) was extremely weak and noisy. It sounds like I was speaking from the opposite end of a basketball court. Back when both receive and send were routed through the Logitech device, I could hear myself breathing and wheezing in between words. Very loud, clear, crisp audio out. The overall goal which remains elusive is to get good audio reception and get good audio output. Now does anyone know a scheme for boosting the microphone output from this machine into EchoLink? Could it be a computer limitation that I might not be able to overcome? Thanks all, best, and 73! Jim NX8Z

6. KE5MC

I had to check my setup after I posted and found I had the same problem of the test audio coming back from the test server, but not heard in the earphones. My solution was to set input and output in Echolink to system "default". I'm including a screen capture of system level mic gain and boost for my system.

Mike

Attached Files:

7. NX8Z

NX8Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Again, much thanks for each post! Here is the latest status: EchoLink appears to be working at this point with respect to a successful transmission and audio back from the test server (qualifying the audio report as clear and loud - not distant and weak). I followed the advice in the preceding post and set the input and output in EchoLink to system default, and it sprang to life (equivalent to the lights coming on and Clark shouting for Ellen to come see!). A strange assortment of settings, however. On the audio tab in system setup in EchoLink, I have the input and output set to System Default. Mic Type is Communications Mike. On the Adjust Sound menu item in Echolink (goes to computer Playback and Recording), I have the following Playback settings: Speaker Properties: Speakers -13.3 dB ON, Microphone +18.4 dB >>OFF<<. On Recording settings, I have Microphone +10.5 dB ON. But here's the puzzle: In the Windows Device Manager I have Microphone (Logitech USB headset) >>DISABLED<<; Microphone (Realtek High Definition Audio) >>DISABLED<<; Speakers (Logitech USB headset) ENABLED; Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio) ENABLED. I turned these off in an attempt to kill the integrated mike that is next to the webcam. I am not sure how the program can be running properly with the Logitech USB headset disabled since that is the device I am speaking into. However, I am not going to touch a thing!! I will go do something else for a bit and come back and see if it continues to work. It appears that I got running in less than two days of work! Thanks again much!! Best and 73! Jim NX8Z

8. KE5MC

Jim,
    Good to hear you got it working. One thing I have learned over the year is the layering of audio software/hardware on a computer can be very confusing and convoluted. Like you once it’s working hands off! :)
    Mike