ad: Mircules-1

Connecting the ICOM ic-7000 to a Windows 10 laptop

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by SV1SLB, Jul 19, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
  1. VK4GAP

VK4GAP Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes thanks , apologies for not being clear , higher than i thought too , mines a older 108xxx , Paul

2. AJ4WC

AJ4WC Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok, nothing like that was available when I had mine.

Seems like a simple and obvious choice - buy the cable.

3. SV1SLB

SV1SLB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Gentlemen, I need your help.
    Purchased today a cable like the one in the photo above, from a shop, (not online shop), made the connections and the Chirp although it recognizes the radio and connects with it, DOES NOT bring the memory entries I have made. It just fills lines with zeros and an ERROR at the name column. Plus, a pop up window informs me that the 7000 is in live mode so the Upload and Save commands will not be available.
    I think that I have not the correct driver for the cable, but it seams impossible to find it online. Can you please help me on this?
    P.S. The included cd it's all in Chinese and from what I see there is no folder named for Windows 10.

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you install the drivers before plugging in the cable ?

The Win 8 driver may work.

USB线驱程序支持XP WIN7 WIN8操作系统

Good Luck.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
  5. SV1SLB

Thank you, but you did not send me any link

6. KA9JLM

The proper driver that matches your cable should be on your disk.

I would not let Windows 10 look for the proper driver on the internet. It will install the wrong driver most of the of the time.

Are you using a template that you made in chirp for your radio ?? If not, The driver may not be your problem.

You need to use a template that Your radio made, Then modify it. Can you read memory data from it OK ?

Good Luck. You can make it work.

7. SV1SLB

Thank you, but indeed I can not undersrand what the Template is, even more how to modify it.

8. KA9JLM

Using CHIRP, You do a Download From Radio.

upload_2020-7-31_9-47-6.png

Select Your Radio, Make sure the Port number is correct.

upload_2020-7-31_9-48-36.png

Click OK, Then do a "Save As" and use that as your Stock Config template. (Recent should take you back to where you saved it.)

upload_2020-7-31_9-58-9.png

Then You modify your memory locations, And "Upload To Radio" to save to Radio Memory. (Radio Tab > Upload To Radio.)

If you already messed up the radio memory with bad data, You can do a factory reset and start over. (That will erase all memory locations.)

Good Luck. I hope that is clear, That is about the best help that I can give this far away.

Never Give Up... 73

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  9. VK4GAP

VK4GAP Ham Member QRZ Page

The only thing i found slightly annoying using Chirp was that real time feature but i was probably not driving it correctly , now i'm not typing one is "better" than the other but https://www.qsl.net/iz2nxf/ was easy enough to use IC7000PROG .

Same thing there , connect to radio , download from radio and save , alter/add into any memories , save again using a different file name and keep a extra save somewhere else , then upload to the radio .

The steps in vhf/uhf were the standard 25khz spacing + the offsets/tones where needed in mine , quite a few too , not shown in the screenshot also is all the SW BC stations .

The only hiccup i have found it always reverts to 500khz in memory 1 & 2 in the VLF area on mine as they should be 273 - 359KHz ndb's , so i just manually do those to direct in the radio , no hassle .
    cheers Paul

1.jpg

10. SV1SLB

Thank you for the clarifications. Problem is that I can not get to the point that Chirp reads the memories! Imagine all the above table to be filled with zeros and at the Name column the indication ERROR. Same thing happens regardless if the plug is in the radio's socket, or not!
    First I thought that there is something wrong with the radio's socket, but I do not dare to get deep inside the radio, except of the upper cover. Later a fellow from UK, told me that the chip inside the cable is an older version, so it won't work under Win 10. Since I already have a Virtual Machine installed, I will try to install Win 7 again, and make a try. Unfortunately I neither have the Win 7 cd with me, nor the key to download an image file from Microsoft, so I have to wait till I get my hands on the cd back home.