Connecting the ICOM ic-7000 to a Windows 10 laptop

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by SV1SLB, Jul 19, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. SV1SLB

SV1SLB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I found out an ic-7000 in excellent condition, from the latest that came out of the factory.
    Now I am trying to find a way to connect it to my laptop, in order to backup all the memory entries that I will have and if possible, control the radio from my laptop, using HRD for example.
    I also found a software called RUMtrol7000, which I downloaded, but have not installed it yet, since there is no cable for this connection yet.
    Do you know if that kind of cable would work on my ic 706 mkiiG, also?

2. SV1SLB

Anyone?

3. NS3L

NS3L Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

4. SV1SLB

Thank you!

NS3L likes this.
  5. AJ4WC

AJ4WC Ham Member QRZ Page

I have the ICOM C-17 box that connects the radio to an RS-232 port somewhere, if you're interested...

6. SV1SLB

Thank you, but no. I want usb at the one end and 3,5 mm jack on the other. I do not have an RS 232 port on my laptop

NS3L likes this.
  7. AJ4WC

AJ4WC Ham Member QRZ Page

I had an IC-7000 for several years. As far as I know, it's not possible to connect an IC-7000 to a PC via USB, since the data jack on the radio is not standard computer jack. That's why ICOM makes the C-17, which is essentially a level converter. I suppose you could use an RS-232 to USB adapter cable to connect to the C-17. You can connect a Signalink to the 13-pin accessory port to use the radio for data, but you won't have computer control of the rig.

8. NS3L

NS3L Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

AJ4WC, I disagree.. I speak from current experience as an current and past owner of IC-7000's. The IC-7000 CAT control is provided via the 3.5mm Remote jack on the back of the rig. The "Icom IC-Cable-1-USB" cable from the company I referenced above does just that.. It allows any program that can and needs to talk to the CAT port to be commanded.. You are correct though on the Data port..

Steve NS3L

9. VK4GAP

VK4GAP Ham Member QRZ Page

Tip is a MONO 3.5mm , and both connected to tx/rx together from the usb cable to TIP , most of those cheap-ish usb converters will work with it .

I'm using ic7000prog and seems to do the job ok (free too) .
    73 Paul .
    edited - ps, what is the serial number ? i'd be interested to see how high they got to , leave off the last 3 digits with xxx .

1.jpg

10. SV1SLB

You mean the serial of the 7000? It's 3001XXX.