connecting RG-213 patch to RG-8U run

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by DEU1OUMC3, Dec 6, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
  1. DEU1OUMC3

DEU1OUMC3 QRZ Member

the antenna cable i purchased for my discone antenna is 50' DRF-400 RG-8U with male pl259 on each end.

since i may need to move the antenna around from time to time i would like to have a patch cable of like 10-12' to run thru the 5' mast to discone, and in case any other unforeseen connections i might need to make. and connect the 50' run of RG-8U to that.

would it be wrong to use a RG-213 PL-259 Patch Cable and connect that to my RG-8U 50' run?

2. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

That's ok, just be sure to keep water out of the connectors.

Rege

3. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

RG-213/U is just the present military standard that replaced the old RG-8/U standard. Since RG-8/U is no longer an actual standard, newly manufactured cable that is marked as "RG-8/U" does not have to meet the old time standard and may not be of the same quality as before. However, cable marked as "RG-8/U" still should have an impedance of about 50-ohms and connecting to RG-213/U cable, which also has an impedance of 50-ohms, presents no problems.

In fact, you can also connect RG-214/U, RG-58/U or RG-8X cable without any problems. In fact, any 50-ohm coaxial cable can be connected without problems.

Glen, K9STH

KU3X likes this.
  4. DEU1OUMC3

DEU1OUMC3 QRZ Member

thank you!! got a better understanding now.

5. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

You still have to take power into consideration. While RG-8X is usable, RG-58 can have serious problems at higher frequencies and power levels. Since you are using a discone antenna, I will assume you are at the 100 Watt or lower level. At higher power levels, and/or higher frequencies, I would not recommend RG-58 for any but very short jumpers. But any RG-8 "type" can be combined with RG-213/U.

6. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The truth be known, even for a 50-foot run, at any frequency above 29.7 MHz I would be very hesitant using even RG-213/U and never more than 100-feet.

For HF, I do use either RG-58/U or RG-8X for short jumpers where the power isn't much more than around the 100-watt level. For the output from my linear amplifiers, and from the antenna switches to the 1/2-inch Heliax that I use for all but my 40-meter phased verticals, I use RG-213/U cable. Also, for short jumpers from Heliax that goes to my VHF and UHF antennas, I also use RG-213/U.

Glen, K9STH