Connecting my ic7300 to my Mac mini

Discussion in 'OS: Mac OS' started by N1FMV, Nov 21, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. N1FMV

N1FMV Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi all I want to use my Mac mini and FLRIG (or another program) to control my IC7300. The 7300 has a USB port and a CI-V port, which one do I use? Also what drivers need to be installed? I am looking for basic ring control (freq, mode, etc). Is FLRIG the best for this or is there something else?

2. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Use the USB port as this gives you both CAT/rig control as well as an USB audio device in case you decide to try out digital modes.

The drivers can be downloaded direct from Silicon Labs: https://www.silabs.com/documents/public/software/Mac_OSX_VCP_Driver.zip

Once you download, install the driver package, reboot. You will likely have to allow the extensions to run (System Preferences, Security & Privacy, General tab (about 2/3 of the way down the window)). Only then should you connect the cable between the 7300 and the Mac Mini.

After that, you should be good to go.

3. N1FMV

Thank you very much. I got the USB driver installed and it is running. Can you recommend any apps that have good rig control for my Icom 7300 or my 7100? Logging is really secondary but rig control is important. thanks for the help.
    Frank

4. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

At the top of this forum is a list of software that you can check out. A more up-to-date list can be found a www.machamradio.com under the Hardware & Software menu.

Flrig is good for basic rig control. Other parts of the Fl* suite provide digital modes, logging, and more all for free.

I use RUMlogNG (free) and MacLoggerDX ($95) here and both work perfectly well, providing rig control, logbook functions, DX Clusters, interfaces to the common digital programs (Fldigi and WSJT-X), support for online logbooks, and more.

5. N1FMV

Thank you so much. I did try RumlogNG and I did get it to track the VFO and can even type a freq into the call sign field. However, under the transceiver menu the IC7300 choice is grayed out so I can't get to the 7300 controls. Any idea what I need to do to enable the ic7300 controls?
    thanks

6. K3DCW

DL2RUM likes this.
  7. N1FMV

Ok thanks to all. I got RUNLOGNG working well. Sadly I have to report that FLRIG does not work at all with the Mac's built in screen reader. MacloggerDX does but its rig control functions are limited.

8. K3DCW

This is the first time you've mentioned the need for screen reader. Your observations make perfect sense as RUMlogNG and MacLoggerDX are Cocoa Apps and accessible by the screen reader, while FLRIG is built using the cross-platform Fast-Light toolset which is not. The same will be true for WSJT-X and Fldigi if you get into digital modes.

Keep in mind that RUMlogNG and MLDX are both logbooks first, and rig control is based upon fulfilling the needs for tracking frequency for the logbook. Neither are designed to do complete and absolute rig control with access to every function on the front panel.

You'll need to figure out exactly what it is that you want and need, and then choose the best tool to meet those requirements.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019