ad: ProAudio-1

Connecting JumboSpot to iPhone Personal Hotspot

Discussion in 'RFinderPi - Open Source radio interface based on R' started by KC3LMP, Oct 23, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. KC3LMP

KC3LMP Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a JumboSpot that I just got configured and set up over the weekend. I already have it set up so that it'll connect to the WiFi at my most commonly visited places. I would, however, like to set it up to connect to my iPhone's personal hotspot, but no matter what I try, I cannot get it to connect. When I boot the thing up, it connects and disconnects from my personal hotspot multiple times before starting, but as soon as it starts, it disconnects. It also doesn't show a wlan on the OLED either. I don't see why it wouldn't work. I set it up just like every other wifi network. Is there a trick to doing this or am I missing something? Thanks!

2. N1KK

N1KK Ham Member QRZ Page

I hope someone replies. I have a friend having the same exact problem. I have no problems with my Android phone. Thanks, ken

3. WB2LBV

WB2LBV Ham Member QRZ Page

For Pi-Star based hotspots you can get support here-
    https://forum.pistar.uk/
    I know there have been issues with some hotspots not being able to properly resolve certain characters in iPhone SSID's and passwords, that might be your problem.

4. N1KK

N1KK Ham Member QRZ Page

I was able to solve the problem with my friends iPhone. We changed the order in the PiStar software under WiFi for his cell phone to be 1st then his home WiFi 2nd. Now it connects.
    Thought I would pass that on.
    Ken

5. N4LES

N4LES Ham Member QRZ Page

I am having the same problem and also have a Apple Airport that also will not allow me to connect to it. I have tried listing these devices first to no avail. Hopefully someone has some helpful information to share.

6. K8HIT

K8HIT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Use the same SSID/password at home and on the road. Solves all of these problems.

7. K0SJM

K0SJM Ham Member QRZ Page

I just got my Jumbo spot connected to my WiFi network, and works fine.
    In my car, my iPhone sees my pi-Star as a WiFi network, and connects. However when I key the radio it shows the connection on the oled, but I don’t receive anything back (on parrot). I noticed in the pi-star software config that my WiFi was listed twice, whereas my iPhone is listed once.

8. WB2LBV

WB2LBV Ham Member QRZ Page

It sounds like the Pi-Star is unable to connect to the iPhone hotspot for some reason so it's activating its internal access point and that's what the iPhone is connecting to. That will result in a connection between the two devices that goes nowhere and doesn't see the internet. I'd check the SSID and password for the iPhone and make sure they're correct, maybe delete that from the Pi-Star and start over. I'm not sure if it's an issue with Pi-Star but there have been cases where certain characters used in Apple SSID's aren't recognized properly in other devices.
    As for the duplicate listing of your other wifi, that was probably just an error when you were setting it up and it should be safe to delete one of them.