ad: Radclub22-1

Connecticut CW Club

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by N1BRI, Aug 28, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. N1BRI

N1BRI Ham Member QRZ Page

I am part of a small group of guys looking to get a CW club going. We are based in Connecticut and we like to meet in-person whenever possible. You don't need to live in CT to be a member, though it makes meeting in-person easier hihi. We hope to do little contests (Our inaugural contest will be 09-17-2022 12:00UTC - 09-18-2022 12:00UTC), showcase ops and their projects/achievements, etc. Like many other clubs, we are very much interested in helping new-comers learn and enjoy CW. Of course there are a million clubs already out there, I know. But we are just looking for another way to have fun and meet some folks along the way. If you think you might be interested, and especially if you live in CT, please consider checking us out: https://ctcw.club/ -- We are actively looking for contributors and very much appreciate your patience with any technical difficulties as we get going.

Brian N1BRI

N1GKE, W1AEZ and K1APJ like this.
  2. NJ1P

NJ1P Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Brian. I'm in West Hartford and have been a CW fanatic for a long time. These days I've been guest-operating W1AW a lot. (Last two weeks I worked well over 1,000 stations on both phone and CW, all on 10m.) I wrote an article many years ago for QST, October 1991, about experiments at MIT where I was required to interpret the code by touch. Anyway, keep me posted on the progress with organizing any CT CW ops!

3. N1BRI

Hi Joe,

I think you might have worked me at w1aw on the 16th! Bravo on those numbers! We are approaching 60 members now. We haven't done any formal events since the first. We're exploring the possibility of a qrs, informal net 2 times a week on 80m. I think in the next month or so we might put another small event together. Some of us are building various projects at the moment. We'd love to have ya as a member. Check out the site if you get a chance. A number of us meet informally on Zoom most nights during the week and in person at Meriden Amateur Radio Club/Wallingford Amateur Radio Group club in Yalesville. If you're ever up for driving past Newington into Wallingford on a Saturday, some of us will be there. Thanks for the message and I'll be listening for you at W1AW. 73! Brian

4. NJ1P

NJ1P Ham Member QRZ Page

Rings a bell, Brian! I usually work a few stations ground wave during each session. Your CW group sounds great! Would love to make it on a Saturday sometime. Hope to CU again soon from W1AW!

5. PAULRON

PAULRON QRZ Member

one thing missing on your site... an address. where are you in ct?

6. N1BRI

Hi Paul,

We don't have a specific location, but many members meet on Saturdays at the firehouse in Yalesville.

Brian

7. NJ1P

NJ1P Ham Member QRZ Page

The keys they have for guest operators are from HA8KF. Here and there the magnets get stuck. It's a little embarrassing! I brought in and old Bencher to use there and it's better all around.

Wondering what kind of key you're using Brian (and anyone else).

N1GKE likes this.
  8. N1BRI

I was having a similar issue with some fancy paddles I bought. I switched to the bencher myself. But now I have 1 more problem. I use an older rig with an external keyer, and dits and dahs get screwed up occasionally. I'm gonna buy a new one this week. Then it should be smooth sailin.

9. NJ1P

NJ1P Ham Member QRZ Page

Just saw this post, Brian. Hope you're back on track. I'm thinking of getting some new paddles. I'm debating buying Kent paddles but it'll be a wait, since they're backordered until May. Another option I've considered is Vibroplex. Haven't used those since 1960 something! Ideally I'd love a Scheinemann Morse "Dirigent" paddles but impossible to find.

10. KB1RS

KB1RS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'll share this within SECARS (https://secars.org/) in case we have any members interested.

11. N1BRI

Thanks Rob (KB1RS) -- things should start getting a little more active for the group in the next month or so. We have a few things planned. 73