Congrats to two YLs and a message to newcomers

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by WE4B, Jan 20, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
  1. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

I posted this on Twitter but I know not everyone is a Twitter user. A couple of weeks ago, Charlie TI2CDA and I formed a plan to have his daughter, Alyssa and my daughter Marissa W4AQT to have a QSO via a satellite.

Alyssa had seen Marissa's QRZ page and it turns out they are both Harry Potter, Pete the Cat and Minecraft fans and she wanted to get Marissa's QSL card. Charlie and I looked for favorable passes and decided the 18:16z pass of AO-91 on 1/20/2018 would be our first attempt to have the girls make contact.

Marissa and I went outside with radios and our Arrow antenna and waited for AO-91 to crest the horizon. As soon as we could hear the bird, W4AQT started calling TI2CDA. After a few calls, there was Alyssa with Charlie serving as the control op. The girls had a very sweet, quick QSO.

Ham radio is supposed to be about learning and progressing the radio art but it's also about forming friendships, even if they are long distance friendships. I have no doubt that this will not be the last time that Marissa and Alyssa have a QSO and I am confident that Alyssa will soon get her own license as Marissa is almost ready to take her General exam.

If you are a newcomer to amateur radio or a long time ham that would like to try out satellites, I invite you to join those of us that derive so much enjoyment from operating on amateur satellites. Many of us use Arrow or Elk antennas but with AO-91 now active, many people (myself included) are routinely operating it with just their HT and an improved whip antenna. I invite you to visit https://www.amsat.org to learn about all the satellites that are available to amateurs and how to operate them.

I was fortunate that my daughter became interested in amateur radio when she would go outside with me and listen to me talking to other hams with my Arrow antenna pointed at the sky. Now that she's licensed, it's allowed us to have some great father/daughter time together, as well as, providing her some excellent STEM education.

Here are pics of Marissa, W4AQT on the left and Alyssa on the right during the contact they had this morning. I invite anyone that is interested in working satellites to visit the AMSAT site on join us on the air. Congratulations YLs, you did a great job!

Photo Jan 20, 12 23 55 PM.jpg 2018-01-20 12.47.32.jpg

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    K9SWX, KW4EK, K7EEX and 17 others like this.
  2. KG4AKV

KG4AKV Ham Member QRZ Page

Great writeup Jeff! I think AMSAT Journal would love this. Congrats on their contact. One thing, I think you meant to say "I have no doubt that this will NOT be the last time that Marissa and Alyssa have a QSO." You didn't have "not" in your sentence.

WE4B likes this.
  3. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks, I just fixed it :)

4. K4KDR

K4KDR Ham Member QRZ Page

Great write-up & pics!

Looks like we need a new award... QSO distance divided by the combined age of the operators!

But that's just great for the youngsters & Dads alike. Congrats to you all.

-Scott, K4KDR

WE4B likes this.
  5. N0TZU

N0TZU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Very nice!

WE4B likes this.
  6. W0MSN

W0MSN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Jeffrey,

Thanks for posting this! Loved it and reading things like this just gets me more excited about this great hobby. Send this into QST. It would make a fun article for all hams to read.

Mike / W0MSN

WE4B likes this.
  7. WE4E

WE4E Ham Member QRZ Page

That's really awesome!

WE4B likes this.
  8. AA0CW

AA0CW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That's just darn cute! Good for them!

WE4B likes this.
  9. KA0USE

KA0USE Ham Member QRZ Page

tears.

WE4B likes this.
  10. AA0CW

AA0CW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I hope you send this and the pics to QST magazine.

WE4E and WE4B like this.