Confused regarding grid squared award

Discussion in 'QRZ Operating Awards' started by NG4F, Jan 28, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. NG4F

NG4F Ham Member QRZ Page

When I scan the grid squared award, it shows a confirmed African contact. But when I scan all contents, it shows no african confirmed....... Screenshot_20200128-002306_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20200128-002343_Chrome.jpg

2. W1DQ

W1DQ Logbook Administrator Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Which grid is confirmed and is also in Africa?

3. KY1K

KY1K Ham Member QRZ Page

You have a green dot just off of Africa. That is the GPS coords N00000 W00000. Someone confirmed with the wrong grid. Look for your confirmed contact in grid JJ00.

4. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I had a friend who traveled to N00000 W00000 and he was never seen nor heard from again .... truly an evil and terrifying place :eek:

Dave
    W7UUU

PS - another vote for: check your log for a grid JJ00 and figure it out from there

5. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

It is a rare entity indeed, few enter and fewer ever leave.

W7UUU likes this.
  6. NG4F

NG4F Ham Member QRZ Page

its jj00, a small island off the coast, I remember talking to that contact, because we were discussing that location..

7. NG4F

NG4F Ham Member QRZ Page

oh, ok, I see that now, it says there is a problem with a confirmed contact. this was so long ago, maybe 2012? I prob wont be able to fix it.

8. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

you can't just look for the grid squared, JJ00, you have to look for the square root of that grid. Easy enough to calculate by hand.

9. W1DQ

W1DQ Logbook Administrator Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Based on the Grid2 analysis, the only confirmed credit you have for JJ00 is a QSO with IK4GRO (Italy) that is not in Africa. As to continents, you still need Africa.

It seems that JJ00 is a default grid entry resulting from the lack of a proper grid at ID entry. There is no entity associated with JJ00. The credit is faulty and JJ00 likely should be withdrawn from analyses.

JJ00.jpg

10. NG4F

NG4F Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks everyone for helping.