ad: chuckmartin

Confounding the skimmers

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K0HB, Sep 7, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. K2CAJ

K2CAJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

But so what if some people do that? If that's how they like to do it, why should others disapprove?

Besides, lots of people bypass the effort/skill/thinking in some aspect of their hobby. Just look at all the people who buy commercial antennas. You buy instead of building your own, and there's no modeling, no design, no thinking---it's all just done for you by someone else, right? Should we disapprove of that as well?

WZ7U likes this.
  2. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

"a solitary hunter hunting down his prey, his success dependent on his experience and skills gained from long practice. Knowing the habits of his prey, knowing where they dwell in the ether, and patiently stalking them down in the wild."

Great image, that! I like it!

Well, Hans, maybe skimmers and RBNs have destroyed that version of Amateur Radio for you. But I still play the game that way, with a very modest setup. I don't always get the big one, but sometimes it all comes together.

No RBNs, no skimmers, no decoders, no spotting network, nada. The only concession to automation I've made is computer logging for the SS, with an old computer built of reused parts and a homebrew interface. (It's rather surreal, seeing a PC keying the Southgate Type 7, meter needles flicking and the 866As flashing).

For casual operating and contesting, it's just me, paper log-and-dupe, and the Type 7. Mostly S&P, too.

73 de Jim, N2EY

N2SR and W4NNF like this.
  3. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've occasionally used spotters/skimmers. But not very often. OTOH, how is that much different from your buddy calling you on the phone and saying, "You'd better get on 20, P5AXXX is on the air!"? I do use the Reverse Beacon Network to see how I'm doing, though. :)

Otherwise? I go back and forth between using my tube rigs and logging contacts on a legal pad (I do transfer them to HRD later), and one of my Icoms with a 40-inch bandscope display via an SDR receiver. ;)

4. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Here's an analogy:

In the 1890s, long distance running started gaining attention, with the first modern Olympics, the Boston Marathon, and other events.

At first, the marathon distance was pretty much any footrace over about 25 miles. In 1921 the marathon distance was standardized at 26 miles 385 yards. That's quite a footrace, lemme tellya....(I've done two of them). Being able to call oneself a "marathoner" is serious stuff!

Now, imagine that you'd done all the training and preparation, and actually done some marathons. Quite an accomplishment, right?

And then folks started clamoring that the distance should be reduced. First to 20 miles, then 15 miles, then 10 miles, and finally 5 miles. Yet they kept the name "marathon" and the folks who ran them continued to call themselves "marathoners".

Or suppose folks started clamoring that the use of rollerblades, skateboards, scooters, etc., should be allowed, and the folks who used them allowed to call themselves "marathoners".

(Yes, there are wheelchair divisions in major marathons. But there's a clear demarcation between those who run the distance and those who use a wheelchair.)

How do you think those who had run a 26.22 mile marathon would feel about the whole thing? Would you blame them?

What are these "commercial antennas" of which you speak?

5. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You and me both. If I hear a CQ where code isn't being sent with the correct dot/dash length and spacing, I spin the dial. What some people call a "swing" I call crappy sending. Not endearing at all. :rolleyes:

K5ABB and WZ7U like this.
  6. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

so to be a real Dx'er do I need to manually enter my information in to the electronic log or does electronic log use negate being a real Dx'er? What about a CW keyer? Does that count or must I use a straight key? What about amplifier? Can I use that or must it be QRP? Oh, and can I use a commercial rig or do I need to build one form old TV parts? If i homebrew an antenna, can I use commercial copper wire or must I smelt and pull my own wire? Just want to be clear as to what defines a "Real" Dx'er...

W9FL and W4NNF like this.
  7. K1LKP

K1LKP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

HI DAVE,

GREAT TO HEAR FROM YOU AND THANK YOU FOR THE HEADS UP ON YOUR
    DAD'S CERTIFICATION THROUGH THE GEORGE HART'S QCWA PROGRAM.

GEORGE HART WAS QUITE A PIONEER IN THE WORLD OF MORSE CODE RELATING
    TO HAM RADIO.

I FOUND THESE TWO INTERESTING LINKS RELATING TO GEORGE HART.

http://www.arrl.org/news/national-traffic-system-developer-george-hart-w1njm-sk

http://morse-rss-news.sourceforge.net/artskill.pdf

A BIG THANK YOU FROM ALL YOUR FRIENDS AT THE CFO CLUB.

73 - K1LKP

8. WX7P

WX7P Ham Member QRZ Page

You're still screaming. What's your deal?

N2EY likes this.
  9. W9BRD

W9BRD Ham Member QRZ Page

Oops, meant CWA as in Connecticut Wireless Association

10. K1LKP

K1LKP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

HI DAVE,

THANK YOU FOR THE HEADS UP ON THE
    === Connecticut Wireless Association
    N9HI_Have_a_Nice_Day.gif

73 - K1LKP